We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to London and will be visiting Ilford

long Island, NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
New to London and will be visiting Ilford

Hi I have never been to London I'm going to re connect with family in Ilford. I understand my best bet for getting there is the Central line or Train??While there I would like to take in some sights. Can anyone suggest hotels in the 3 maybe 4 star range near the central line or train for easy commute to Ilford and close to any sight seeing.(really haven't looked into any sights yet any suggestions for must haves) Would like to do on a budget so if you know of any great little unknown hotels open for any and all suggestions.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,356 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to London and will be visiting Ilford

Take the train - the overground service from Liverpool Street will take you to Forest Gate, Manor Park, Ilford, Seven Kings and to Goodmayes if they live that far east.

If you have to go to Ilford station itself rather than Forest Gate or Manor Park you'll need a zones 1 - 4 Travelcard. PAYG on Oyster cannot be used for overground services from Liverpool Street east of Stratford. The number 86 bus from Stratford travels to Ilford as does the number 25 from central London, but the former is a bit of a schlep and the latter a considerable schlep.

When are you going to be in London, and for how long? Are you travelling solo or with other family members or friends? And have you a budget in mind for hotels?

long Island, NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New to London and will be visiting Ilford

Hi thanks for the info..I will be traveling solo (male 48 yrs)in November. I haven't really thought much about a budget I guess less is better maybe around $150 US will that get me a decent hotel or B&B are there any hidden gems or boutique hotels? I will go higher if I need to its just a starting point. I'm curious why you only mentioned train and bus is the underground/tube "Central line" more of a schelp then the bus or train?? Well I appreciate any and all info.

Thanks again

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,356 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to London and will be visiting Ilford

The overground trains are better for Ilford because the Central line veers off from Stratford, travelling north of Ilford. Redbridge and Gants Hill stations aren't too far from Ilford station - maybe a mile or a mile and a half - so you could travel on the Central line if your family members lived within a short walk or bus ride from either station. Have you got a street or road name available?

There are Travelodges near Ilford station and not far from Gants Hill station. Both get mixed reviews, and you may want to consider the Premier Inn near Redbridge station as an alternate. TALFer Wansteader has mentioned the Innkeepers Lodge attached to the Eagle pub in Snaresbrook - could be worthwhile sending a PM to Wansteader if you'd like to try a stay there.

If you'd rather stay in central London, consider the Travelodge not far from Liverpool Street station or the TL City Road, a short walk or bus ride from that station. A bit nearer the city centre there are Premier Inns on York Way near King's Cross station and Euston Road, just west of KX. The PIs are very pleasant hotels, a step up from the Travelodges (some of which are decent enough but have few extras in the rooms), with City Road a favourite of mine.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to London and will be visiting Ilford

Gants Hill, Redbridge and Newbury Park often come under the general umbrella of Ilford, so it really depends on the address you are looking for as to whether the Central Line or overground train would suit you best. If you want to see the sights of London it would probably be best to stay in central London. There can only be so much to keep you occupied in Ilford.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,208 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New to London and will be visiting Ilford

Welcome to London!

Both the Central Line and the trains for Ilford (and thereabouts) leave from Livepool Street Station and both go through Startford, therefore staying near Liverpool Street or Stratford would be handy for both the sights of London and to visit your realatives.

Stratford would be cheaper, but further away from the non-Ilford sights and not (at least around the station) a very attractive place.

Liverpool Street Station is particularly good for underground lines to the various sights of London, and is a shortish walk (or a couple of tube stops) from the Tower of London, which IMO, is a must see.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: New to London and will be visiting Ilford

You might consider Club Quarters Gracechurch, Ibis London City, Novotel Tower Bridge or Premier Inn London City (Tower Hill).

These are all near Liverpool Street, might have rooms around $150 and are well reviewed here.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New to London and will be visiting Ilford

There are a number of hotels on Cranbrook Road, but I have no idea of the quality of them.

Sights in Ilford are non-existent.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New to London and will be visiting Ilford

One disadvantage of the overground train is that PAYG oystercards are not valid to Ilford. I had to visit someone who was roughly in between Ilford station and Gants Hill, I chose Ilford and ended having to pay a surcharge. Next time I made sure I used the Central Line.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,208 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New to London and will be visiting Ilford

Mr. Cellophane,

You cleary have missed the Sihk Gurdwara on Ilford High Road, about half way between the Ilford and Seven Kings railway stations.

It is exuberantly carved and generaly delightful, especially set down next to a horribe modern office block and surrounded by other pedestrian modern buildings. (although there is a rather nice old English church not to far away)

redbridgerenet.co.uk/gurdwara-9-05/karamsarg…

and

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Gurdwara_Karamsar_(Ilford_(Essex))

Enjoy!

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,208 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New to London and will be visiting Ilford

I see the second link didn't come out properly, but here is a nice photo.

redbridgerenet.co.uk/gurdwara-9-05/longshot.…