We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Olympics Opening Ceremony - Where to Watch?

Honolulu, Hawaii
2 posts
London Olympics Opening Ceremony - Where to Watch?
Save

Hi all,

Long time lurker and first time poster here!

We will be going to London for the Games and are extremely excited! We were fortunate to obtain individual event tickets but are not expecting to be lucky enough to come across any for the Opening Ceremony...

So, my question is, are there any veteran Olympic travellers out there with tips on where it is best to watch the opening Ceremony?

Or any Londoners who might know of a public venue where people can gather and watch together? Or perhaps a pub that would be ideal?

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
1. Re: London Olympics Opening Ceremony - Where to Watch?
Save

It's too early to know.

I am sure London will have many public venues for the Olylmpics which will be advertised in due course.

I would keep an eye on this site, the official Olympics site and other entertainment sites like TimeOut London to keep informed.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
13 helpful votes
2. Re: London Olympics Opening Ceremony - Where to Watch?
Save

There are 22 'Big Screens' around the country - search BBC Big Screens.

The only one in London is in Walthamstow close to the tube station.

No idea if any temporary ones will be set up eg. Trafagar Square but there may be.

When I recently went to a London Prepares event one of the stewards did mention that big screens would be set up in the Olympic Park. Not sure if these would be only for people with tickets to an event at the Olympic Park that day or not but I think that may be the case.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
24 reviews
48 helpful votes
3. Re: London Olympics Opening Ceremony - Where to Watch?
Save

There will be screens up in Hyde Park for the opening ceremony - this link might help your planning and you can register for advance news or tickets if you want to guarantee access: http://www.londonlive.uk.com/useful-info

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
111,190 posts
17 reviews
18 helpful votes
4. Re: London Olympics Opening Ceremony - Where to Watch?
Save

Watching it on television in Honolulu or Sydney seems like an excellent option to me.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
13 helpful votes
5. Re: London Olympics Opening Ceremony - Where to Watch?
Save

Another Olympic thread and yet another anti-Olympic bore joins the fray.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
34 reviews
186 helpful votes
6. Re: London Olympics Opening Ceremony - Where to Watch?
Save

<< There will be screens up in Hyde Park for the opening ceremony >>

Will there ? I though the Olympic Screens were going to be one of the first cuts to public events in the parks now Westminster Council have reduced the number due to complains from residents about the noise and general disruption.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
24 reviews
48 helpful votes
7. Re: London Olympics Opening Ceremony - Where to Watch?
Save

Well thats according to London Live, so you'd hope that site would be accurate? I'm hoping it is, having failed to get tickets ourselves that's the nearest we'll be getting to the ceremony!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
34 reviews
186 helpful votes
8. Re: London Olympics Opening Ceremony - Where to Watch?
Save

The restrictions were only announced two weeks ago, so nothing is final yet.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/11/111223a.shtml

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
7 reviews
14 helpful votes
9. Re: London Olympics Opening Ceremony - Where to Watch?
Save

There's some sort of screeny thing (with alcohol supply) proposed for Blackheath, on what used to be called Washerwoman's Bottom, but which has been bowdlerised to "Church Field" for the summer.

Edited: 9 years ago
Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
34 reviews
186 helpful votes
10. Re: London Olympics Opening Ceremony - Where to Watch?
Save

And Vicky Park

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.