We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from West Malling Kent to London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
malta
Level Contributor
96 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from West Malling Kent to London

This summer we're coming for to weeks in West malling Kent. We're going to be a group of 5 adults. Apart from Victoria station, what other stations can we travel to get to London without spending a fortune. Thanks

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,479 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from West Malling Kent to London

All the direct trains go to Victoria so you don't have much choice in that matter. However you will qualify for Groupsave and if you buy Travelcards at Victoria Station ticket counter opposite platforms 14/15 you will also qualify for the offers on daysoutguide.com. If you are staying two weeks then buying weekly zone 1-2 tickets will save you even more money

Normally you should qualify for the offers because you are travelling by train but there is some question as to whether Groupsave tickets qualify

southeasternrailway.co.uk/destinations/…

nationalrail.co.uk/stations/…

No need to buy the train tickets in advance as they'll cost the same if bought on the day. You might find that a short term season ticket might work out better though I'd doubt it.

Edited: 04 March 2012, 19:20
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from West Malling Kent to London

Victoria is the only direct train option (apart from on weekdays there a 2 very early morning services in to London St Pancras via Blackfriars and other stations in The City, and one return service from there in the late afternoon rush hour).

If you are travelling off-peak and all together, you can buy a GroupSave ticket where 4 travel for the price of 2. (You could share the total cost amongst the 5 of you to make it fair).

If you buy a One Day Travelcard from West Malling station then this will incorporate unlimited day travel on London's Underground and buses as well.

When travelling by train there are 2 for 1 offers http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1london or pick up a leaflet from the train station.

You can view timetables and check for engineering works at the train operating company's website http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/

For a general journey planner, it's normally easier to use the National Rail website http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from West Malling Kent to London

For your journeys to London on weekdays, make sure you travel after 09.30 for the cheapest fares. There are no time restrictions at weekends.

As explained above, GroupSave will work for 4 of you, obviously leaving one person to pay the full fare. If one of your party is under age 26 it might be worth their while purchasing a 16-25 railcard. The cost is £28 and will give a 1/3rd off all fares. They will need a passport size photo. nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/railcards-dis…

You might also consider travelling in the opposite direction to London, as there are a number of places of interest in Kent. By train these include: Canterbury, including its cathedral; Sandwich and Broadstairs for the coast; Dover castle and secret war time tunnels; Walmer Castle and Gardens; Deal Castle; Rye (historic port town). Each of these require an easy change of trains at Ashford. Within walking distance of the station at Ashford is a designer shopping outlet. http://www.mcarthurglen.com/

If travelling by train or bus, there are 2-for-1 offers at the places named above (panel to the right of this link): http://www.visitkent.co.uk/default.asp

Also nearby and accessible by train or bus are Sevenoaks, which includes Knole House and Deer Park, Rochester and its castle; Chatham's Historic Dockyard.

Let us know if you will have a car for part of your stay as there a range of other places you can easily get to.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from West Malling Kent to London

One little point to clarify ST's excellent information - I think Group Save is available only on off-peak fares.

Edited: 04 March 2012, 23:43
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from West Malling Kent to London

groupsave is valid on travlecards

malta
Level Contributor
96 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from West Malling Kent to London

Thank you all for your suggestions

malta
Level Contributor
96 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from West Malling Kent to London

If I travel from West malling to Canterbury by train , will I be able to purchase the Canterbury Passport tickets as well? Do I have to buy them before or when we arrive there? thanks for your help because your response is helping me to plan my holiday.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,246 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from West Malling Kent to London

Carmen,

I know it's not the busiest but if you don't get an answer here then it might be worth posting on the Canterbury forum - tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g186311-i1169-Cant…

malta
Level Contributor
96 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling from West Malling Kent to London

Thanks for our suggestion to contact Canterbury forum. Their reply was very helpful. Now I'm plannning my trip to Sevenoaks & Chatham. I need your help to find the right connections to get there from West Malling. I wish to travel with southeastern because I've got 2 for 1 vouchers for certian attractions & I've got to present the train ticket.

Thanks again

Edited: 18 May 2012, 16:42
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling from West Malling Kent to London

West Malling to Sevenoaks - a simple journey with one change at Otford taking 40-45 minutes. Twice an hour

West Malling to Chatham - more complicated - the quickest is just under an hour changing at Swanley.

But the cheapest route is to Maidstone East, walk to Maidstone barracks then change at Strood - takes a little over an hour.

Both routes hourly. All South East trains