We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North York Moors one day driving tour

Williamsburg, Va
Level Contributor
248 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
North York Moors one day driving tour

Our trip to Northern England in early June is almost here....while in the North Yorkshire Moors, we will be staying in Helmsley for 3 nights. We would like to spend one day doing a driving tour around the park, and after doing a lot of reading on this site, I've come up a day long drive that hits many of the places that have been mentioned. I would like to get your opinion as to whether my plan is doable.

Drive Helmsley to Pickering, then take the A169 towards Whitby with detours to Goathland, Beck Hole, Grosmont. Spend a few hours visiting Whitby, then on to Staithes for a short visit. Then as we head back towards Helmsley, I wanted to come via Rosedale Abbey and Hutton le Hole, however I'm not sure if there is anything between Staithes and Rosedale Abbey that we shouldn't be missing, or a "more scenic" route. After Hutton le Hole we'll head back to Helmsley.

Does this plan seem doable in a day or have I tried to fit in too much? Any other alternate route suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
North Yorkshire
North Yorkshire
Yorkshire, UK
Helmsley
Helmsley
North Yorkshire, UK
Whitby
Whitby
Scarborough District, UK
Goathland
Goathland
North York Moors National Park, UK
Grosmont
Grosmont
Staithes
Staithes
Hutton le Hole
Hutton le Hole
13 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: North York Moors one day driving tour

Ok, at the moment, the plan is to take the A169 direct from York to Whitby (stopping at the Hole of horcrum for some views). Then coming back inside by the A171 then wheeldale rd., then hutton-le-hole (maybe), helmsley and rievaux Abbey, then back to York. But we are considering doing the circle the other way. So I was wondering if it made a big difference for Wheelan rd.à

Thanks for the input.

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Whitby
Whitby
Scarborough District, UK
Williamsburg, Va
Level Contributor
248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: North York Moors one day driving tour

Our drive that we took started in Helmsley, as that is where we were staying. We stopped first in Hutton-le-Hole where we walked around a bit and toured the folk museum. (If I had to do it over again, probably would have spent less time here as we had a lot we wanted to fit in). Then we cut over to the Wheeldale Road (nice drive either way you do it), and then stopped in Goatland (a must if you are a Harry Potter fan), then up to Whitby. We only spent time at the Abbey, and didn't get a chance to walk around town...crowded and couldn't easily find parking, so we headed on to Staithes...a very sleepy fishing village. From there we headed to Danby (didn't have time to stop in at the Moors National Park Center), Castleton and south (don't know the name of the road) turning off at Knott Road towards Rosedale Abbey. Really loved this portion of the drive. From Rosedale Abbey we took the Rosedale Chimney Bank Road back to Hutton-le-Hole...steep but great views at top. It was a long day, but a beautiful driving tour. My advice would be to choose one or the other: Rievaulx Abbey or Whitby Abbey. I loved both...Rievaulx is nestled in farmland and is very serene. Whitby Abbey has commanding views. Don't think you can squeeze in both in one day. Helmsley is a cute market town and worth a stop to walk around. I would get a very early start so you have time to linger a bit. I may be mistaken but I believe someone told me that the A169 was "less scenic"...maybe reverse your trip so that you do the A169 on your way back to York?

Mentioned in this post
Helmsley
Helmsley
North Yorkshire, UK
Hutton le Hole
Hutton le Hole
The Wheeldale
The Wheeldale
415 Reviews
Whitby, UK
Whitby
Whitby
Scarborough District, UK
Castleton
Castleton
Hope Valley, UK
Rievaulx Abbey
Rievaulx Abbey
1,147 Reviews
Helmsley, UK
Whitby Abbey
Whitby Abbey
4,485 Reviews
Whitby, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: North York Moors one day driving tour

Yes, my understanding is the A169 is not scenic at all (except for a stop at Hole of Horcrum from what I understood,altough we might be disapointed by what we can see from the parking lot without hiking). But it is the fastest way, it was a choice to save some time on this busy day. But yes, I am considering doing it the other way as well, it would allow us to see the rievaux and helmsley early. Maybe get lunch in Helmsly then set off.

Edited: 10 August 2017, 00:48
Reply to: North York Moors one day driving tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about North York Moors...
Recent Conversations