We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bank hol weekend in scarborough?

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
bank hol weekend in scarborough?

hi me my hubby and 18month old are staying in scarborough next weekend for the bank hol arriving saturday as early as possible! and leaving monday. I wanted to go to whitby as never been and anywhere else of interest in the area! im planning scarborough 1 day, whitby 1 day and somewhere on the monday before driving hone (so not somewhere too big) so still get home earlyish for work the following day!just want to plan my days more rather than turn up and just wander round like usual! i have been to scarborough last year and just went to peasholm park and for a walk but just with my lad not being an 8 week old now would like to do/see things for him trains etc! but also things for us all to enjoy nice walk etc anyone have any ideas for scarborough and whitby and a suggestiin for the monday (travelling back towards wigan so somewhere not too out of the way/en route) thank you all x

Steam Trains, Whitby, and the North...
63 Reviews
from US$56.60*
North York Moors and Whitby Day Trip...
49 Reviews
from US$60.60*
Free Cancellation
North Yorkshire Moors and Whitby Day...
10 Reviews
from US$51.20*
Free Cancellation
3 replies to this topic
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bank hol weekend in scarborough?

Last time I was in Whitby I hopped on to the steam train to Pickering. Stopped of at goatland where Heartbeat was filmed.

Mentioned in this post
Whitby
Whitby
Scarborough District, UK
West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bank hol weekend in scarborough?

Your little one might be very excited to go on the little train near Peasholm park

http://www.nbr.org.uk/

It ends up near the sealife centre but I think that is a bit expensive, not been in for years.

There are open top buses in both Scarborough and Whitby which will be good for a small person when little legs get tired.

Whitby will be difficult to park at the bank holiday so consider the park and ride

Mentioned in this post
Peasholm Park
Peasholm Park
4,189 Reviews
Scarborough, UK
Scarborough
Scarborough
Scarborough District, UK
Whitby
Whitby
Scarborough District, UK
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
222 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bank hol weekend in scarborough?

The Sealife Centre is great and you can get online tickets which are cheaper than just turning up.

The steam train between Pickering, Goathland and Grosmont is also great for toddlers - my boy loved all steam trains at that age.

It is going to be a bit of a nightmare parking in Whitby at the Bank Holiday - you could always take a bus from Scarborough to Whitby. Bear in mind if you go to Whitby, the main thing to see is the Abbey. You've got to get up (and down) the 199 steps with a pushchair and toddler. Obviously it can be done (I've done it) but takes patience!

Or instead go to somewhere a bit quieter - if your toddler likes the idea of paddling and rock pooling, go to Boggle Hole near Robin Hood's Bay. It's an easy walk down to the beach from the parking area (unlike Robin Hood's Bay itself) and a lovely bit of beach. Do check tide times before you go though as it comes in very quickly and covers the whole beach!

Scarborough has the newly opened Alpamare water park - it's not the cheapest but it's very good and has a huge section for younger children. (there's also some good water slides and relaxation pools for adults!) It is quite expensive but the toddler would be free anyway.

Boat trips from Scarborough include Speed boats and cruises around the bay, both of which might be fun for a toddler.

Scarborough Castle, Whitby Abbey and Pickering Castle are all fun to look round and for toddlers to explore in their own right but with it being the bank holiday weekend and all being owned by English Heritage, there will be family events on at all three of them - for instance Scarborough Castle has hands-on History for kids with lots of dressing up and activities.

If you want to stop on the way back to see something else, I have a few suggestions without obviously knowing your tastes but based on what my own kids liked. There is Pickering which has the castle and the steam railway already mentioned; and then off the A64 Castle Howard - big grounds, stately home, again probably has something on specially for the weekend; Kirkham Priory - a ruined priory, good to wander round and for toddlers to run around. Next door to it is the pub, the Stone Trough which does extremely good food and has fantastic views if it's warm enough to sit outside; or if you want somewhere fun and for your toddler to let off steam, follow the signs to the York Maze. Apart from the maze itself, it has a huge range of activities and playgrounds, suitable for toddlers up.

Finally if you plan to arrive in Scarborough early, leave early! The A64 is a nightmare on weekends and bank hol ones particularly. It's the only route out to the coast and gets very very clogged. We were going to go today and satnav said there was a 40 minute delay between Scarb and York so we went to Helmsley instead.

Mentioned in this post
Goathland
Goathland
North York Moors National Park, UK
Grosmont
Grosmont
North York Moors National Park, UK
Whitby
Whitby
Scarborough District, UK
Scarborough
Scarborough
Scarborough District, UK
Boggle Hole
Boggle Hole
81 Reviews
Fylingthorpe, UK
Scarborough Castle
Scarborough Castle
1,745 Reviews
Scarborough, UK
Whitby Abbey
Whitby Abbey
4,396 Reviews
Whitby, UK
Castle Howard
Castle Howard
2,810 Reviews
York, UK
Kirkham Priory
Kirkham Priory
96 Reviews
York, UK
The Stone Trough
The Stone Trough
241 Reviews
Gateshead, UK
York Maze
York Maze
1,966 Reviews
York, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Helmsley
Helmsley
North Yorkshire, UK
Reply to: bank hol weekend in scarborough?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about North York Moors...
Recent Conversations