We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking at the Goathland station

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
213 posts
243 reviews
Save Topic
Parking at the Goathland station

We plan to be in Goathland on a Thursday in a few weeks and thought to take the train to Whitby and back. Sounds like parking will be impossible from what I've been reading. Thinking of just driving to Whitby and then stop in Goathland overnight as we already have reservations. Is the station parking always filled?thank you,

Mentioned in this post
Goathland
Goathland
North York Moors National Park, UK
Whitby
Whitby
Scarborough District, UK
19 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
33,348 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking at the Goathland station

It's been a couple of years since I've been. So things might have changed, but I don't recall any parking issues.

It's in the middle of a National Park, so parking might be an issue at certain times in certain places, but surely you can just park a little distance away and walk to the station? Or am I missing something? what have you read?

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking at the Goathland station

I can't see a problem either especially on a Thursday and not in peak season. I do wonder what people are reading?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
5,131 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking at the Goathland station

There is a fairly large public car park at Goathland - as the other posters suggest I can't see you'll have any issue parking to catch the train. Also, there is free on road parking if you're willing to walk a little way to the station in non peak season

Mentioned in this post
Goathland
Goathland
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking at the Goathland station

Tobique - please would you confirm what you are asking?

From what I gather, you are travelling to Goathland by car and staying there overnight. The next day, you plan to travel by train to Whitby. You will park your car at your accommodation overnight, but you are now asking about car parking at Goathland station as you plan to travel on to your next destination as soon as you return to Goathland from Whitby. You either do not wish to walk back to your accommodation where your car was parked overnight, or you doubt that you will be allowed to leave your car there whilst you are visiting Whitby, given that you would have checked that morning. Is that it?

Mentioned in this post
Goathland
Goathland
Whitby
Whitby
Scarborough District, UK
Goathland Station
Goathland Station
661 Reviews
Goathland, UK
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
213 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking at the Goathland station

Sorry to be unclear. We leave Newcastle on a Thursday and planned to stay overnight at Mallyan Spout Hotel, which I gather is a mile from the station. We planned to arrive mid morning to take the train up to Whitby and back, just to experience the train ride which is meant to be sweet. Then we will stay overnight at Goathland and travel on through the park on the Friday. My husband will not be able to walk the mile from the hotel so we were hoping to park at the station while on our train trip. I was reading about the town and station on the Internet trying to find out about parking, and there were numerous comments about how the town is always crowded even though there's nit much there, but a tv show was filmed there at one time. Thus, I was concerned about the parking. It was said there is difficulty parking there. Sounds like it could be ok. Thanks much.

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
The Mallyan Spout Hotel
The Mallyan Spout Hotel
848 Reviews
Goathland, UK
Whitby
Whitby
Scarborough District, UK
Goathland
Goathland
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking at the Goathland station

Thanks for making things clear - I am still sure you will be fine.

One thing though - I am not sure what your expectations are about Goathland being a 'town'. It's a very small village, around 400 residents, and doesn't have the facilities you would expect of a town. It is popular due to the TV programme Heartbeat, and also because it is on the NYMR route. But when the tourists go home it reverts to being a very quiet, small village in the Moors.

When you get to Whitby it is well worth exploring if your husband is able to do so.

Mentioned in this post
Goathland
Goathland
Whitby
Whitby
Scarborough District, UK
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
213 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking at the Goathland station

Thanks so much, Morgana! Yes, we are looking forward to the serenity. My grandfather left Alston for Canada in early 20th century, so looking forward to seeing that quiet village (also on moors,right?)as well. I know it's not the national park, but he called it the moors. Thanks everyone for all the information.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,962 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking at the Goathland station

A link to over 360 photos of Alston and area in the North Pennines.

www.geograph.org.uk/search.php…

Click on the thumbnails to see the photo in detail.

Edited: 31 August 2015, 20:14
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,962 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking at the Goathland station

Here is a better link to the same website with more details of the village..

www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=57739165

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking at the Goathland station

I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time.

I've just returned from a long weekend staying on the NY Moors not far from Goathland (it's a Bank Holiday in England) and the heather was in full bloom. Mile upon mile of swathes of beautiful purple flowers! And the rain held off until today too!

Mentioned in this post
Goathland
Goathland
England
England
United Kingdom
Reply to: Parking at the Goathland station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about North York Moors...
Recent Conversations