We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early evening meal in or near Bury St Edmunds - Saturday

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Early evening meal in or near Bury St Edmunds - Saturday

We're looking for a pub or restaurant for a reasonably priced meal for two adults in or to the west (A14 corridor) of Bury St Edmunds on Saturday. We would need one which starts serving at 5.00pm to ensure we have finished by 6.30 and we also need a restaurant with a car park.

has anyone any suggestions, please.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
92 reviews
1. Re: Early evening meal in or near Bury St Edmunds - Saturday

Hi, haven't been for a while now but the Star at Llidgate always used to be nice. It's west of Bury and not far from the A14 but may be a bit too rural?

http://www.lidgatestar.com/welcome-marquee/

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Early evening meal in or near Bury St Edmunds - Saturday

Thank you it looks a nice place, maybe another time when we're not on such a tight schedule between leaving home and attending an event in central Bury.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,759 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: Early evening meal in or near Bury St Edmunds - Saturday

visit-burystedmunds.co.uk/eat-drink-shop.html

England, United...
Level Contributor
10,651 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Early evening meal in or near Bury St Edmunds - Saturday

The Fox Inn has its own car park and is actually in Bury St.E. We have eaten there several times and the food has always been good.

https:/…the-fox-inn

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
92 reviews
5. Re: Early evening meal in or near Bury St Edmunds - Saturday

I did think about the Fox and 2 or 3 years ago I'd have had no hesitation in recommending. We also found the car park really helpful when taking my mother out in town as she can't walk far. However, the last time we went it had gone horribly downhill and the recent reviews are mixed. Maybe the new management can pull it round.

I've struggled to think of where else to suggest. Our favourite places in town don't have car parks although we've never struggled to park. Or else they start serving too late for you.

I guess you could always park in the huge public car park off the Parkway and walk across to a row of restaurants that includes Giraffe, Frankie and Benny's, ASK etc

Edited: 06 August 2015, 22:33
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Early evening meal in or near Bury St Edmunds - Saturday

Thank you for your suggestions, the Fox was a possibility, but recent reviews did put us off. We ended up at the Tollgate by chance. I had tried to book at the Spread Eagle through their on line booking form. After waiting more than two days for a confirmation, I contacted them by direct email, only to fnd they were having their kitchen refurbished and weren't serving meals for a few weeks. (How difficult would it been to have put that information on their web site?). They mentioned the Tollgate, so as time was pressing, I phoned directly to book. I then looked at reviews on TA and wondered if I had done the right thing. But it all went very well, except a slight hiccup with dessert being delayed (probably forgotten about). They did have two big parties at a similar time to us, so were very busy. But after a reminder, it came quite quickly with many apologies and looked a larger portion than standard to make up for the wait. By that time, due to prompt service earlier, we were well ahead of schedule anyway, so it didn't make too much difference. And we found the theatre and got parked with time to spare.

7. Re: Early evening meal in or near Bury St Edmunds - Saturday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2017, 23:15
Get answers to your questions about Bury St Edmunds