We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's Coventry like?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
105 reviews
141 helpful votes
What's Coventry like?
Save

Hi,

This is an unusual question, but I'll chance asking it anyway. I might get an opportunity to work in Coventry (as a teacher) next year. I'm wondering what the place is like. Any one willing to share their ideas?

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
180 reviews
74 helpful votes
1. Re: What's Coventry like?
Save

The centre of Coventry was almost totally destroyed by bombing during the war and was rebuilt at a time when much of the architecture was not the most appealing - although the Cathedral is worth seeing and in recent years there have been efforts to remodel the commercial areas. The economy of the city has been hard hit by the decline of the motor industry. There is nice countryside nearby and plenty of touristy towns (Stratford-upon-Avon, Leamington, Warwick, etc.)

London
1 post
2. Re: What's Coventry like?
Save

Like any major town or city there are good bits and bad bits, I lived there as a student and I would consider avoiding the centre of town. Like the previous post says you could be better living in one of the excellent towns outside Coventry and come in by day.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
312 posts
727 reviews
717 helpful votes
3. Re: What's Coventry like?
Save

nothing much wrong with Cov. It's quite a safe city, plenty of bars and restaurants and the city centre is having a slow regeneration (these things take time). I've lived here all my life and it's got everything any large city would have. The new football stadium has also done wonders for attracting well known bands to the ciry too (Bon Jovi, Red Hot chilli peppers, Pink, Take that....).

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
105 reviews
141 helpful votes
4. Re: What's Coventry like?
Save

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I need to put this into a context for myself. Other English cities I have been to lately and can picture in my mind are Canterbury, Wigan, Manchester and Liverpool. What's Coventry like compared to those places? OK, this isn't an exact science, but I would appreciate any comments.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
312 posts
727 reviews
717 helpful votes
5. Re: What's Coventry like?
Save

Difficult to say I've never been to those particular cities you mention. Everywhere has it's pros and cons and I don't think Cov is particularly worse than anywhere else.

East Midlands
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
78 reviews
75 helpful votes
6. Re: What's Coventry like?
Save

One man's opinion is another man's argument. Still, here goes ...

Wigan is a town. Coventry is better / bigger than Wigan. Wigan is pretty much half way between Liverpool and Manchester.

Liverpool and Manchester are larger than Coventry and, imo, are better for just about everything (from a city living point of view).

Coventry is in the Midlands, close to Birmingham, and relatively central for travel to pretty much everywhere else.

Manchester has the biggest airport, followed by Birmingham, then Liverpool and then Coventry. Wigan doesn't have an airport.

I've never been to Canterbury.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
180 reviews
74 helpful votes
7. Re: What's Coventry like?
Save

The population of the administrative areas of Coventry and Wigan are probably of the same sort of level. However Coventry is a distinct city with its suburbs (some of which will be better than others) whereas Wign is a biggish town linked up to other urban areas. It has its own theatres, museums, etc but is also quite close to Birmingham and The National Exhibition Centre along with Birmingham International Airport is about midway between the two. Hope this helps.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
48 reviews
143 helpful votes
8. Re: What's Coventry like?
Save

Which school might you be working in? They vary from excellent (my old school of course), to poor on council housing estates.

There are two universities here, Coventry & Warwick, each with about 10,000 multinational students. Warwick is one of the best Uni's in Britain.

We have a large Asian population from the sub-continent, and parts of Coventry are like Asia! We have dozens of Indian restaurants (all run by Bangla Deshis!)

Coventry was known as the motor city, as it was the centre of car manufacture, yet no cars are made here now. However there is still a lot of industry.

The 1960s city centre can seem somewhat bleak and a concrete jungle. However, we are in the centre of leafy Warwickshire, so the countryside is never very far away

Lots of teachers live in the Earlsdon area, which has a village atmosphere, other people prefer nearby Kenilworth or Leamington Spa.

Britain's second city Birmingham is twenty minutes away by train, and London just over an hour.

Edited: 13 years ago
Kenilworth
Level Contributor
412 posts
37 reviews
31 helpful votes
9. Re: What's Coventry like?
Save

I'd support all that Bollinge says.

Coventry has lots of good facilities, and like many cities it has its good points and bad points. You'll find it is like a small version of Liverpool or Manchester, but the local smaller towns (only a few minutes away by car, bus or train) such as Kenilworth, Leamington and Warwick are much more picturesque if that's what you like.

People visiting from abroad (and we have a lot of people staying for a few weeks or months in the area whilst possibly studying or lecturing at one of the universities) often enjoy our surrounding countryside, with plenty of walks to do and pubs to visit.

It is also very easy to get from here to other parts of the country at weekends - either by train or car.

Warwickshire, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
21 helpful votes
10. Re: What's Coventry like?
Save

Chaucer,

Coventry is one of main cities of england - population circa 300,000. Its history dates back to 12th century with the foundation of a benedictine abbey. In 1700s onwards it became famous for textiles, precision engineering such as watch making, cycle making (Starley is a local lad who invented the bike I think. We also bred Frank Whittle whose musings on a local common gave rise to his inventing the jet engine). Today remnants of its ancient past remain but Hitler and time have lost the rest. In the 20th century it was a major manufacturing centre exporting famous products to the world - Jaguar Cars, massey Ferguson Tractors, Alfred herbert Machine Tools, Coventry Climax Fork trucks (its engine powered Formula 1 racing cars too in the 60s) Triumph Cars, Hillman, Humber, Sunbeam & singer cars etc etc . In fact since late 1800s it has been home to over 200 car manufacturers. The only car manfacturing left today is Lti - who? They make the iconic London Taxi.. Coventry is a workmanlike, busy city whose architecture is essentially post war modern and functional rather than attractive. What has not been emphasised so far it its location. Centre of england and the centre of england's motorway system so it has envious national communication advantages. London is 55 minutes or more by train and pre booking off peak can get you there and back by rail for £10 - ten pounds. Culturally apart from the ricoh stadium appearances mentioned by others (Cov City football club's home ground) it has its own theatre - The Belgrade - and Warwick University 4 miles south has the Warwick Arst Centre with appearances by national and international performers - also a non-mainstream cinema (check out their website). As for where to live, others mentioned nearby attractive towns but within coventry's boundaries the southern side is more likely to suit - Earlson, Stivichall, Finham, Allesley are ones to go for - all just 10 to 20 minutes drive to city centre. Rental housing appears to be widely avalable. Probably worth your while to check out the website of the local paper. It might carry its special sections published on wednesay and thursday for houses for rent and sale respectively. >> Coventry Telegraph. Good luck

© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.