We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No bus service Swindon to Avebury?

Colorado
Level Contributor
187 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
No bus service Swindon to Avebury?

I'm trying to map out a timeline for my trip, which includes a stop at Avebury Stone Circle. The time tables are indicating there a no buses leaving Swindon on #49 after 12:25pm until after 10pm. There are notices about closures in June but looking at June 25, after closure dates have ended, and the outage is still there. We are scheduled to come through on July 9th. Could stop on way back to London on July 12, but July's schedule isn't available yet. Are there alternatives? Is bus service really suspended for 10 or 11 hours each day?

I'd really appreciate some guidance here, or am I reading something wrong? Am I not inputting my trip correct? We'll arrive Swindon 3:13pm and would like to leave Avebury about 6:30.

HELP??

Mentioned in this post
Avebury Stone Circle
Avebury Stone Circle
1,938 Reviews
Avebury, UK
Swindon
Swindon
Wiltshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Avebury
Avebury
Wiltshire, UK
6 replies to this topic
Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
9,789 posts
416 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No bus service Swindon to Avebury?

Where are you seeing this - this is the Bus operators timetable which does not show those gaps (but your timings are tight anyway) https:/…49_Swindon_18_February_2018.pdf

(The June road closures are AFTER Avebury anyway....)

Mentioned in this post
Avebury
Avebury
Wiltshire, UK
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No bus service Swindon to Avebury?

A little "extra" to watch out for - if you are interested - approximately halfway between Swindon and the Red Lion bus stop at Avebury there is a White Horse over to the left, just past the Barbury Inn at Broad Town. On a good day it shows up well in the late afternoon light. If you miss it on the way to Avebury you have a second chance on the return journey to Swindon.

Mentioned in this post
Swindon
Swindon
Wiltshire, UK
Avebury
Avebury
Wiltshire, UK
White Horse
White Horse
651 Reviews
Banbury, UK
Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No bus service Swindon to Avebury?

To support PMQ the travelplanning site shows an hourly service on June 25th, your would be 16:05 from Swindon bus station, which conforms with the Operators timetable.

http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk

Mentioned in this post
Swindon
Swindon
Wiltshire, UK
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,318 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No bus service Swindon to Avebury?

I am also curious to know which website gave you the incorrect information about the service being suspended in the afternoon - if you can tell us which one it was we may be able to get it corrected.

P-t-B

Colorado
Level Contributor
187 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No bus service Swindon to Avebury?

Thank you for the information!!

stagecoachbus.com is the website I used. Clearly it's not the right one. LOL I found the link in another thread here about getting to Avebury from Swindon. This is the timetable I found. Is it accurate?

https:/…49_Swindon_18_February_2018.pdf

A timetable I can use to plan our excursion and confirmation that the line will be in service on July 9 is helpful!!

Mentioned in this post
Avebury
Avebury
Wiltshire, UK
Swindon
Swindon
Wiltshire, UK
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,318 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No bus service Swindon to Avebury?

Yes, that timetable is fine for that date as far as we can tell.

P-t-B

Reply to: No bus service Swindon to Avebury?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted