We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling to Windsor on own

Swift Current...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
travelling to Windsor on own

Can I purchase tickets to Windsor Castle and St. George's Chapel on my own not through a tour group. Planning to travel from London to Windsor by train on our own schedule. Thoughts?

7 replies to this topic
Oxford, England
Level Contributor
451 posts
456 reviews
1. Re: travelling to Windsor on own

Yes. You can buy tickets online or when you arrive. Make sure you check closure times before you travel.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,930 posts
449 reviews
2. Re: travelling to Windsor on own

Easy peasy, all you need to know about the castle is here https:/…windsorcastle

Trains from either Paddington or Waterloo- the latter without changes but slower see www.nationalrail.co.uk

Paddington to “Windsor and Eton Central” or Waterloo to “Windsor and Eton Riverside”, both stations a stone’s throw from the castle walls.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
15,502 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: travelling to Windsor on own

There may be a promotion where you can get a combined train and admission ticket to Windsor Castle; not available at the moment though.

www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/92346.aspx

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,854 posts
235 reviews
4. Re: travelling to Windsor on own

Remember that if you are keen to see St. George's Chapel, do not visit on a Sunday, as it will be closed to tourists.

Texas
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: travelling to Windsor on own

I am also visiting Windsor on my own via Paddington Station. I have a full day for the visit but I'm reading I will not need a full day. Suggestions on what else I can do?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,484 posts
478 reviews
6. Re: travelling to Windsor on own

You can make it a full day if you want to have a look around the town and maybe take a stroll over to Eton and along the river. You don't have to, though. You could just go back to London and see a show, or do whatever you want for the rest of the day.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,629 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: travelling to Windsor on own

Hi,

Take a walk along the river, cross over to the Eton side, turn left and cross the Brocas. It makes for a pleasant afternoon, especially if the sun is shining.

Reply to: travelling to Windsor on own
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Windsor
Recent Conversations