We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from from Dublin Port to Holyhead

Ferry from from Dublin Port to Holyhead

Hey,

We are planning to get the Ferry from Dublin Port to Holyhead then return from Holyhead to Dublin Port one week after. Does anyone know currently how often do they check your visa on the entry into both countries? we all have valid passport

Thank you,

Yin

9 replies to this topic
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Ferry from from Dublin Port to Holyhead

Assume they will check it every time - if you need a visa make sure you have one. It may be that it is not checked but you definitely don't want to travel without having the proper documentation.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
73,932 posts
478 reviews
2. Re: Ferry from from Dublin Port to Holyhead

I agree with what Michael has said.

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Ferry from from Dublin Port to Holyhead

If you have a valid passport and visa why do you need to know?

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
16,263 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Ferry from from Dublin Port to Holyhead

How often do they check your visa?

Once each way I would have thought.

What nationality are you?

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Ferry from from Dublin Port to Holyhead

I can't recall a passport check on or off the ferry but its been a few years since i have been on one

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
16,263 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Ferry from from Dublin Port to Holyhead

Depends on your method of travel I think.

Travelling backwards and forwards in your own car they do not check.

Foot passengers and coach passengers are often checked. My daughter was on coach once and two young foreign lads were 'removed'. They did not come back.

UK
Level Contributor
9,279 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Ferry from from Dublin Port to Holyhead

We did Holyhead to Dublin a few weeks ago (in one direction only - travelled back from Belfast), and they were stopping cars as we drove off the ferry. We got asked about our nationalities - told him - got waved on our way (he did not ask for proof - but I guess he had no reason to doubt us)

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
164 reviews
8. Re: Ferry from from Dublin Port to Holyhead

We last travelled over a year ago this month,out from Birkenhead to Belfast & back from Dublin to Holyhead,we had to laugh when we got back home & saw a new series on TV where they claimed that everyone was checked/searched both going on & coming off all ferries,nobody came near us on either journey,luck of the draw I guess but as long as your documents are in order you should have no problems.

UK
Level Contributor
9,279 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Ferry from from Dublin Port to Holyhead

I wouldn't expect checks between Birkenhead and Belfast as you are not crossing any international borders.

I wasn't surprised to be stopped coming off the ferry in Dublin because we were crossing an international border, and the CTA - strictly speaking - only applies to British and Irish citizens. They have been checking passports at Dublin Airport for some years, so checks at the seaport should not come as a surprise.

Reply to: Ferry from from Dublin Port to Holyhead
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted