We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pubs and Italian Restaurants

Welshpool, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
13 reviews
Pubs and Italian Restaurants

Having a uni reunion on November on a rugby day. What bars and Italian restaurants would you recommend for a few middle aged men.

7 replies to this topic
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Pubs and Italian Restaurants

If you can get a reservation at Casanova on Quay Street (right opposite the Principality Stadium and next door to the City Arms pub) you'd be in for a bit of a treat; it's food is fabulous, traditional "family" dishes prepared with top class ingredients, skill and plenty of love.

Alternately Elgano on Cathedral Road (just outside the city centre but about 15 minutes walk from the stadium) is another gem; and you have the Cricketers, the Pontcanna Inn or the Brewhouse and kitchen just doors away for a few drinks too.

Welshpool, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Pubs and Italian Restaurants

Thanks very much. I did see la caffe citta too but your suggestion sounds perfect and I will book that first. What bars in the centre do you suggest?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
290 reviews
3. Re: Pubs and Italian Restaurants

City arms, Old arcade, Brewhouse, Rummer tavern.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
36 reviews
4. Re: Pubs and Italian Restaurants

On a Rugby day in town, you can take some suggestions, but everywhere will be super busy, so be prepared to try a few places until you find one with some space

Cardiff
Level Contributor
436 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Pubs and Italian Restaurants

I would never choose to be in the city centre on match day particularly in a pub where its 10 deep at the bar. But if I had to then I would go to The Traders Tavern as its a lot quieter (and nicer) than the pubs in the St Mary Street area.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Pubs and Italian Restaurants

Lots of "older"!! (me included!) rugby fans eat and drink in Pontcanna - quieter than town but still a great atmosphere and it's only a 20 minute walk to the stadium. As a previous poster said Elgano is a nice Italian and the Cricketers and The Conway (slightly further away 30 min walk) do pub grub on International day - they have big screens but you do have to book a table. Always a good atmosphere. Cafe Citta has fab food and you're slap bang in the thick of it in the centre of town. Enjoy!

Welshpool, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Pubs and Italian Restaurants

Thanks for really helpful advice. Are there taxis from the train station on rugby match days as traffic is restricted then. Arriving at 11 when Wales play Tonga.

Reply to: Pubs and Italian Restaurants
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cardiff