We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September in NI

Missouri
Level Contributor
258 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
September in NI

My two sisters and I will be in NI in September and are looking for a couple of cozy, traditional B&Bs. We will be traveling north from Castlebar to Giants Causeway and then south to Carrickmacross. Will need two different places for 2 nites each. We have not yet decided whether or not to go to Belfast. I'd like to see the Titanic Museum but not sure about driving in the city. We are on a self drive road trip. We would prefer smaller, traditional villages or towns since we are from a small, quaint(ish) town in Missouri. The B&Bs can be on or near the coast or not. Any advice? And then ideas for day trips please. I've gotten so much good advice on the RI thread and love Trip Adviser! Everyone is so helpful! I'm also using DK Eyewitness Backroads to Ireland travel guide. Thanks !

7 replies to this topic
County Londonderry...
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland, County Donegal
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September in NI

i take it you know that Castlebar to the Causeway will take around 4.5 to 5 hours driving. I'd opt for Portstewart or Portrush as a 2 night base. Both on the coast and with plenty to see and do for 2 days. Both have a mass of B & Bs to choose from.

Belfast is not that big and easy enough to drive in, mostly one way system. That said I understand your reluctance. Try Bangor which is a few miles outside with a good public transport link to the city. That will leave you with a 2 hour drive to Carrickmacross.

London
Level Contributor
133 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September in NI

If in the Giants Causeway area do visit Carrick -a Rede Rope Bridge and Dunluce Castle (a ruin). £5 entry for the castle.

A lot of Game of Thrones was filmed in that area if that is of interest.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September in NI

Titanic Experience is really straight off the motorway with underground car parking, so there is no real need to driving the city.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
17,409 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September in NI

September can be glorious..There is so much to see & do between Castlebar & Giants Causeway.. Counties Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim & Donegal hold a plethora of breathtakingly beautiful scenery, Neolithic & Megalithic sites, BenBulben, Glencar Waterfall, Literary sites connected to W.B. Yeats, court tombs, Knocknarea, Coney Island, beaches, Slieve League Cliffs..Can you possibly add another day to your itineray?

Don't know if you had considered driving the Antrim Coastal Road? Stunning Scenery that you will not forget..

Kesh_grammy

Wales
Level Contributor
37 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September in NI

I second Portrush and Portstuart as good places to stay overnight - lovely coastal towns. If hesitant about driving in Belfast you could park at the edge of town and spend the day there on foot. There is no need to drive through the city centre and there is plenty of interesting things to do in the centre without the need for a car. The Ulster Folk and Transport Museum outside Belfast is great if you have time for it - a real step back in time http://nmni.com/uftm/Visiting-Information/About-Us-(1). There are a lot of interesting sights in the vicinity of the Giant's Causeway and I second the ideas about visiting Carrick -a Rede Rope Bridge and Dunluce Castle. You can also fit a tour of Bushmills Distillery in on the same day as Causeway etc if you're interested in that.

Missouri
Level Contributor
258 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September in NI

So many great ideas! As always, TA rocks! Thanks to all !

Missouri
Level Contributor
258 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September in NI

Kesh_grammy, in your opinion, which coastal road is the best? The Connemara Coastal road or the Antrim Coastal road. Thanks

Reply to: September in NI
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted