We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rethinking 2 week itinerary

midwest
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Rethinking 2 week itinerary

Hi all,

We are taking a 2 week trip to Ireland in September 2018. I asked for suggestions on my initial thoughts for an itinerary and of course I was trying to pack in 4 weeks of site-seeing into a 2 week trip :(

Well, I took a couple of days off planning to think about it and think this may be a better idea:

I drew a line from Galway to Dublin and decided we would tour north of that area only if this looks realistic.

Hopefully there will be some agreement that it will give us a more leisurely trip without non-stop driving.

These things are still the same from my initial attempt at an itinerary:

DH and myself—active and fit 60 year olds

September 2018

Car rental-small car/manual/diesel (a bit more complicated if touring Northern Ireland too I think)

15 days total (13 days touring +1 arrival & 1 departure day)

Tight budget travelers (around 4300-5100 Euros or less including airfare)

Probably arrive/depart Dublin due to cost savings (open to idea of Shannon & Dublin if cost similar)

Moderately busy itinerary

Photography, landscapes and coastal scenery, culture, history, light hiking and activities, beautiful churches and cemeteries, nature/wildlife/birding, Pubs and traditional music

Stay at B&B’s

Picnic a lot for lunches

Most probably our only trip to visit Ireland

Places I think we would like to see on this NEW ITINERARY are:

Arrival Dublin airport

Armagh (St. Patrick's Cathedral and my genealogy says I have long ago ancestors from the area)

Belfast (Black Taxi tour, St. Anne's, Transportation/Folk museum)

Drive the Antrim Coast

Causeway Coastal Drive (Dunluce Castle, Giant's Causeway, Carrick-a-Rep bridge)

Londonderry area (tour city, St. Columb cemetery and church, Fanad lighthouse, Glenveagh NP)

Donegal (City and Slieve League)

Sligo area (Eagles Flying)

Achill Island?

Connmara

Galway (Bohermore cemetary, Kylemore Abbey, genealogy also says I have long ago ancestors from this area too))

Drive to Dublin night before flight home

Does this look any better than my initial attempt at covering so much of Ireland in 2 weeks?

I will also post this same question in the Ireland forum.

I will include the link to my initial post that was covering too much for our trip:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18646…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18659…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18646…

Edited: 01 August 2017, 02:51
15 replies to this topic
Belfast
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rethinking 2 week itinerary

Have a look at The Belfast to Galway post from Today

County Londonderry...
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland, County Donegal
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rethinking 2 week itinerary

So much better Joby. You will now have time to enjoy each place and even add some bits in here and there. Donegal isn't really a city more of a town, so won't take a whole day to see. On the way to Donegal go via Letterkenny and take the R250 to Ardara (lovey little village) and then the N56 to Donegal. Some nice scenery and landscapes that way.

midwest
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rethinking 2 week itinerary

Yea.....I'm making forward progress then????

County Londonderry...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rethinking 2 week itinerary

If you are walking the Walls in Derry, stop at St. Augustines (on the walls) and visit. Very very old graveyard and some interesting history.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReview…

https://www.discovernorthernireland.com/Sain…

midwest
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rethinking 2 week itinerary

Thanks for the links, Tony.

Now that it seems I am on the right track with an itinerary, how many days do you think might be good to spend at some of the locations?

County Londonderry...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rethinking 2 week itinerary

If you allowed 6 days for Northern Ireland and the top end of Donegal, you should cover the sights mentioned. leaves you 8 days for the Southern part of your trip. Problem is that you may see things and want to stay longer. Are you pre-booking your overnights or winging it ?

County Londonderry...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rethinking 2 week itinerary

Meant to add but forgot about Armagh. I understand your reason for going there and why you are going, but in truth there is not much to see there, apart from the Cathedral, so don't set to much time aside for it.

midwest
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rethinking 2 week itinerary

Would it be too much driving on day of arrival at DUB if we drove to Armagh, saw the Cathedral and drove around town and then drove to Belfast for a couple of nights there?

We wouldn't want to overtire ourselves after an all night flight :(

Or is there an alternative that would work better?

County Londonderry...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rethinking 2 week itinerary

Dublin airport to Armagh will take around 2 hours. Add another hour to Belfast. I'm not fond of a big drive after an

overnight flight, but if your out of the car and have a good walk about, then it should be fine . You will be chin-strapped that evening though. :-) :-)

midwest
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rethinking 2 week itinerary

Let's try a plan B then :)

What if we drove to Armagh, looked around town, visited the cathedral and then stayed there that night and on to Belfast the next morning?

Maybe a nice pub in Armagh in the early evening to eat at, have a drink and then off to bed.

Reply to: Rethinking 2 week itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted