We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rethinking 2 week itinerary

midwest
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Rethinking 2 week itinerary

Hi all,

We are taking a 2 week trip to Ireland in September 2018. I asked for suggestions on my initial thoughts for an itinerary and of course I was trying to pack in 4 weeks of site-seeing into a 2 week trip :(

Well, I took a couple of days off planning to think about it and think this may be a better idea:

I drew a line from Galway to Dublin and decided we would tour north of that area only if this looks realistic.

Hopefully there will be some agreement that it will give us a more leisurely trip without non-stop driving.

These things are still the same from my initial attempt at an itinerary:

DH and myself—active and fit 60 year olds

September 2018

Car rental-small car/manual/diesel (a bit more complicated if touring Northern Ireland too I think)

15 days total (13 days touring +1 arrival & 1 departure day)

Tight budget travelers (around 4300-5100 Euros or less including airfare)

Probably arrive/depart Dublin due to cost savings (open to idea of Shannon & Dublin if cost similar)

Moderately busy itinerary

Photography, landscapes and coastal scenery, culture, history, light hiking and activities, beautiful churches and cemeteries, nature/wildlife/birding, Pubs and traditional music

Stay at B&B’s

Picnic a lot for lunches

Most probably our only trip to visit Ireland

Places I think we would like to see on this NEW ITINERARY are:

Arrival Dublin airport

Armagh (St. Patrick's Cathedral and my genealogy says I have long ago ancestors from the area)

Belfast (Black Taxi tour, St. Anne's, Transportation/Folk museum)

Drive the Antrim Coast

Causeway Coastal Drive (Dunluce Castle, Giant's Causeway, Carrick-a-Rep bridge)

Londonderry area (tour city, St. Columb cemetery and church, Fanad lighthouse, Glenveagh NP)

Donegal (City and Slieve League)

Sligo area (Eagles Flying)

Achill Island?

Connmara

Galway (Bohermore cemetary, Kylemore Abbey, genealogy also says I have long ago ancestors from this area too))

Drive to Dublin night before flight home

Does this look any better than my initial attempt at covering so much of Ireland in 2 weeks?

I will also post this same question in the Ireland forum.

I will include the link to my initial post that was covering too much for our trip:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18646…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18659…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18646…

Edited: 01 August 2017, 02:51
15 replies to this topic
County Londonderry...
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland, County Donegal
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rethinking 2 week itinerary

Stick with plan A. It's only an hour up the road to Belfast. By then you will have been walking around Armagh getting some fresh air and maybe something to eat. Either way you will be tired and ready for bed.

Comber, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rethinking 2 week itinerary

Hi joby

I'm going to offer up an alternative view from Tony regarding Armagh. There would be plenty to see and do around the city to fill a day in the city and surrounding areas. I have posted a link to the Armagh website for you to get an idea.

There are some lovely National Trust properties nearby for those picnics you mentioned and plenty of historical interest in what I think is a very quaint Georgian city. I will say that tourism has yet to really touch Armagh and so accommodation options are limited but there are a couple of hotels and B&Bs to choose from.

If you would feel more comfortable with the shorter journey straight after your flight then I would suggest considering this option. You could then make for Belfast early the following morning and still fit in your 3 must-do items there.

http://www.armagh.co.uk/places-to-visit/

CP

midwest
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rethinking 2 week itinerary

Thanks for the opinions, Tony & captainplanet. Both food for thought. I like having reigned in options :-)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
16,724 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Rethinking 2 week itinerary

I replied on your Ireland forum thread.

Kesh_grammy

midwest
Level Contributor