We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternate Towns to Stay Around Belfast?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
47 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Alternate Towns to Stay Around Belfast?

Our travels will bring us to Belfast to visit a friend, but I don't particularly care to stay in the city. I much prefer the quant villages with pubs, restaurants, castles, ruins, etc. - perhaps being on the water. Most of my travel in Ireland has been on the west coast where we love towns like Dingle and Doolin, even as touristy as they are. Can anyone recommend a similar place to stay that puts us just outside Belfast - close enough to our friend but not in the buzz of the city? Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29,036 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternate Towns to Stay Around Belfast?

How far away from Belfast

County Londonderry...
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland, County Donegal
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternate Towns to Stay Around Belfast?

Bangor is the place for you my friend. Pubs, seaside, restaurants and Bangor castle. You are about half an hour by car from Belfast with regular train and bus options.

https:/…Bangor-Castle-Town-Hall-Bangor-P3121

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternate Towns to Stay Around Belfast?

I would suggest Holywood myself, which is nearer to Belfast that Bangor. It's affluent (as is most of North Down), quaint and choc full of independent bars, shops, cafes and restaurants. It also has one of the best restaurants I have been to in Noble: https:/…noble-restaurant-review

Not sure what hotels are there near there other than the Culloden (very expensive) but should be well serviced with Airbnb. It's right by the sea, with a pleasant walk under the underpass to the legendary Dirty Duck. If you want a true, no-nonsense Northern Ireland pub experience, pop into Ned's Bar beside the Maypole, where you'll find the north down millionaires comfortably rubbing shoulders with the local barflies.

Other alternatives are Donghadee and Whitehead.

I like Bangor but it's still a bit big and has a ways to go to fully realise its potential (which it will in a few years).

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
47 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternate Towns to Stay Around Belfast?

30 minute drive ideal, max 1 hour. We will be coming up from the West Coast, so something on the west or south side. Thanks.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
47 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternate Towns to Stay Around Belfast?

Based on someone else's query, Carlingford looked like the scenic type of place I would like to stay - looks like about an hour out from Belfast. Any other suggestions like this town? Thanks!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternate Towns to Stay Around Belfast?

Hollywood

Donaghadee

Whitehead

Hillsborough

Greyabbey

Saintfield

Killyleagh

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternate Towns to Stay Around Belfast?

AisleSeat,

Check out Holywood. It's in the East but easy enough to get to.

Other than that, work down Drumlough's list which is spot on. You do not want to go west though! We don't call it the wild west for nothing.

Carlingford's in the Republic of Ireland, in which case perhaps you ought to post on their forum. If you're willing to be that far out try, Newcastle or Dundrum and anywhere in the environs of Strangford Lough such as Millisle, Greyabbey, Groomsport, Ballywalter, Ballyhalbert, Strangford etc.

If you want more specifics, we can give it to you, but you need to let us know what you're after and priorities in terms of hotels, restaurants, bars, views, attractions etc.

Belfast
Level Contributor
505 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternate Towns to Stay Around Belfast?

Carlingford is a lovely spot but you would be pushed to do it in an hour.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternate Towns to Stay Around Belfast?

Downpatrick, visit St Patrick's Grave & St Patrick's Centre. Here's a great b&b

http://www.denvirs.com/

Reply to: Alternate Towns to Stay Around Belfast?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted