We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belfast to Galway

Perth, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
Belfast to Galway

I am driving from Belfast to Galway on Sat 5th Aug. Is there any place that is a must see on the way? or route that is more scenic. While hoping to not take to much longer than 6 hours i dont want to just spend the whole time on the motorway.

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29,729 posts
545 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belfast to Galway

Depends on what you consider a must see.

County Londonderry...
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland, County Donegal
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belfast to Galway

The quickest way is by motorway and will still take around 4 hours. You could make a day of it and go via Enniskillen and Sligo. It will be mainly N roads so still decent roads. Spend a bit of time seeing the Lakes in Enniskillen or the Castle. From Sligo to Galway you could make it a longer trip by following the coast down.

It would be an idea to post this on the Ireland forum as well, most of your trip will be in the South.

Perth, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Belfast to Galway

I understand must see's are subject to personal presences but looking fkr suggestions.

Yes Tony was thinking of driving a route like that to atleast enjoy some scenic driving

Edited: 29 July 2017, 20:23
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
265 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belfast to Galway

When I went to Galway a couple of months ago, I drove down through Armagh, which is a pleasant city on the way famous for it's Cathedrals and Georgian architecture (in fact it's a heritage area of gerogian importance) then through Monaghan, Cavan and then towards Athlone which is a pleasant enough drive, after which you're just about ready for the motorway where you just scoot into Galway.

It was a really pleasant scenic drive but if you get caught behind a tractor or slow moving vehicles, some stretches can be really slow.

The two things that struck me on this route were the sheer number of pubs in the various towns and villages on the way. You could be in a one street village a kilometre long and there'd be about half a dozen or more pubs ;) ...I suppose that's no different to any town or village in Ireland.

The other thing I didn't realise is that once you go over the border into the Republic of Ireland after Armagh, you intersect the border a further four times due to two fingers of NI that protrude south into Counties Monaghan and Cavan. How they deal with that after Brexit is beyond me... Bonkers.

Glenavy, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belfast to Galway

I drove to Galway a couple of years ago via Enniskillen,I can't be bothered with motorways(unless you want memories of nothing) for too long,that's the way I'd go if I was you.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belfast to Galway

I would not right off the Motorway, its only boring if you don't indicate. There are many great attractions linked by this route, Oldbridge House(Battle of the Boyne) Hill of Slane,Newgrange,Trim Castle,Belvedere House and Gardens, Kilbeggan Distillery Experience,Battle of Aughrim Interpretative Centre,and wee Joe's hometown Mullingar makes a good lunch stop.

Glenavy, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belfast to Galway

The filming location of The Quiet Man featuring John Wayne is down that way,I passed it coming from Westport to Galway.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Belfast to Galway

Stuarty1975 , Cong Co Mayo : )

Glenavy, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Belfast to Galway

That's it,couldn't remember the name of the place.😀

Glenavy, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Belfast to Galway

That's it,couldn't remember the name of the place.

Edited: 01 August 2017, 02:26
Reply to: Belfast to Galway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Belfast
Recent Conversations