We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries to Scotland. Help!!

Madison, Alabama
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Ferries to Scotland. Help!!

We plan n taking the Ferry from Larne, Northern Ireland to Scotland! We plan on doing this Sunday the 21st of Aug. how far in advance do we have to purchase tickets? We don't know what kind of car we will have and it seems to be a question on the Ferry sight! Help!!!

8 replies to this topic
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries to Scotland. Help!!

Have you got permission from the car rental company to do this?

Comber, United...
Level Contributor
471 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries to Scotland. Help!!

Rental companies usually levy significant additional charges, especially if doing a one way drop. The general advice would be to leave the car back, catch a flight to Scotland (or a ferry as a foot passenger) and hire another car on arrival.

Otherwise, I think you will need to wait until you have the car details which I realise is not ideal.

CP

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,142 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferries to Scotland. Help!!

Even assuming the hire company has no problems with you taking a car onto the ferry, is this the most economic way of doing it.

The cheapest way across is is to use the Coach/Sail service but that assumes that Glasgow or Edinburgh is your initial destination in Scotland, if elsewhere you may be able to fly

https:/…202017.pdf

County Londonderry...
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland, County Donegal
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferries to Scotland. Help!!

I would call the hire company, tell them what you are doing and find out what type of car they have for you. I'm not sure they allow their cars on the ferry or if they charge more for it.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,900 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferries to Scotland. Help!!

The answer to your question might be to end your hire in Belfast, take the ferry over as foot passengers (book a through rail-coach ticket from Belfast to Ayr, Glasgow or Edinburgh*, a a Rail-Sail ticket from Belfast to any station in Scotland, as this will save you money) and pick up another hire car in Scotland.

* Edinburgh probably best avoided in mid-August as the world's biggest Arts Festival will be in full swing.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
860 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferries to Scotland. Help!!

As others have said, I'd be very very surprised if the rental company allows you to take the car on the ferry. Which rental company are you using?

Wales
Level Contributor
37 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferries to Scotland. Help!!

I agree with Wirewiper - much much cheaper to leave your rental car in Belfast and then hire a second rental car when you get to Scotland. Take the ferry as a foot passenger or fly over to Scotland. I also agree that Edinburgh is going to be difficult this month - accommodation is not going to be easy to find, at least not anywhere central. So, maybe base yourselves elsewhere and just drive in to Edinburgh for a day trip.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferries to Scotland. Help!!

Why pay to take a car you don't own on the ferry? I presume you have not checked the fares.

Reply to: Ferries to Scotland. Help!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted