We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The dreaded midge

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
Save Topic
The dreaded midge

Something to make you scratch https:/…midges-swarm-in-argyll

6 replies to this topic
New York
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The dreaded midge

Oh my god......and I'm leaving in a few days. LOL I hope good old regular insect repellent will do.

We don't have midges in NY as far as I know, but they definitely do in Cleveland. About 10 years ago, the Yankees were playing a baseball playoff game against the Indians - in October. Late in the game, the Yankees pitcher got attacked by a swarm of midges (I can't seem to post the photo, so here's the link). The poor guy was ultimately sprayed with bug repellent, which sadly made it worse.... He blew the game, thanks to the midges, lol

https:/…

Edited: 07 June 2018, 06:43
Mentioned in this post
October
October
664 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,907 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The dreaded midge

Don't worry, . Rain and high winds forecast from midweek, you should be fine.......wet but fine!!

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The dreaded midge

We've just got back from nearly 2 weeks in Scotland and are covered in bites, they do seem to have come early this year :(

If you are the sort who might react to the bites, I'd start taking antihistamine now

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
New York
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The dreaded midge

Woody, the first few days of next week appear to be ok in Glasgow (Good), but then my tour (Highlands, etc..) starts on Wednesday - is the forecast pretty much for rain throughout the area ? I guess it doesn’t really matter - it is what it is, and with rain/clouds instead of sun,, it’s just a different kind of beauty. I haven’t bothered to check the forecast beyond Wednesday because too much can change. I do hope it won’t be constantly gray and rainy while I’m there, but if it is, I’ll make the best of it. With my fair skin, all sun, all the time would not be good for me, lol.

PLJCK. I hope you had a great time ! No, I’m not allergic - fortunately, because I do have hay fever, and I’m already taking a ridiculous amount of medication to rid myself of my allergies without having to account for bug bites. I’ve never been one to get bitten much by any bugs, so hopefully that will remain the case.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
New York
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The dreaded midge

Wow, I checked the forecast for several places and it’s going to be cold and rainy almost all of the time. Bah - so much for nice weather in June, lol. I don’t know whether to cry or laugh, lol. Hopefully it won’t be a constant rain...that’s the UK for you I guess, lol

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
326 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The dreaded midge

I'm going June 11-20. Looks like the first couple days will be somewhat dry and then rain afterward. Going to make the most of it either way

Reply to: The dreaded midge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted