We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day trip to Scotland with Infant

Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
7 day trip to Scotland with Infant

Hello Everyone,

I will be traveling to Scotland from 6th July - 13th July along with my husband and 20 month baby. We have booked an Airbnb on Milton Street, Edinburgh and have booked a rental car.

We are planning to cover the following places :

- Edinburgh Castle

- Holyrood Park

- Palace of Holyrood House

- Stirling castle

- Calton Hill

- Loch Lomond and Trossachs (Maybe drive back and forth here for 2 days since there is so much to cover)

- Cairngorm National Park

- Aberfeldy Distillery

- Glenfiddich Distillery (if possible)

- Royal Mile

We do not want to make it to rushed with the baby. Does this seem ok? Any Tips/Suggestions I can get here would be really appreciated.

9 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
1. Re: 7 day trip to Scotland with Infant

You don’t need a car in Edinburgh so you might want to reconsider the number of days you have it for.

The Cairngorms and Glenfiddich distillery would benefit from an overnight in the area, too long for a day trip.

Be aware of any age restrictions for distilleries. One of you may be left holding the baby.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
493 posts
1 review
2. Re: 7 day trip to Scotland with Infant

Just to clarify, are you staying in Edinburgh the whole time and travelling to all of these places or slitting your time in different locations?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,139 posts
57 reviews
3. Re: 7 day trip to Scotland with Infant

Do you have a backpack carrier for the baby as the castle and Calton Hill aren't particularly buggy friendly. I'd also check the rules on taking them in Holyrood Palace.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
11,372 posts
178 reviews
4. Re: 7 day trip to Scotland with Infant

It's a 3 hour drive to the Cairngorms National Park, so as said it's not suitable for a day trip. Try looking at staying overnight in a hotel or BnB somewhere in the area. Aviemore, Grantown on Spey, Carr Bridge or Boat of Garten have accommodation. It's a beautiful area, it would be a shame to have to drive for hours to get there and back on what is a very busy road ( A9) and not do some exploring.

https://visitcairngorms.com

Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
5. Re: 7 day trip to Scotland with Infant

Thanks everyone for the tips!

We have kept the car for all the day so that we could just go for a drive around the countryside randomly.

I did think Cairngorms was a stretch which is why I checked it up. We are staying in Edinburgh for all 7 days because I didn’t want to do a lot of hotel switching with the baby.

How about Perth? Is it worth looking into? Are there any places where we can just drive around and enjoy the views?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
6. Re: 7 day trip to Scotland with Infant

Does your accommodation in Edinburgh have parking?

Lots of nice villages in Perthshire.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
493 posts
1 review
7. Re: 7 day trip to Scotland with Infant

I always think the beach is a great place for kids. You could look at going to St Andrews (great beaches and lots more to see) via the Forth Crossing (now three bridges across the Firth of Forth, worth seeing) and the coastal route which takes you through several fishing villages and Elie (great beach).

Or to East Lothian with its beaches such as Gullane, Dirleton (no beach, but a castle), Yellowcraigs, and North Berwick (Tantallon Castle is nearby and is worth a visit).

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,139 posts
57 reviews
8. Re: 7 day trip to Scotland with Infant

Milton street does seem to be miraculously free of parking restrictions. Although that doesn't mean it will be easy to get a space!

Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
9. Re: 7 day trip to Scotland with Infant

We will have to park on the street itself. Will most certainly look into the beaches. I was coming back to the thought of Cairngorms, what if we leave around 7 AM and plan to reach there by 10, spend a few hours there and leave from there at 3-4 PM. I know it still may not do justice to the place but still would give us 5-6 hours there. Is it still too much?

Reply to: 7 day trip to Scotland with Infant
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted