We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with travel through Scotland

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with travel through Scotland

My teen daughters and I will be traveling to Scotland 8-8-18 through 8-14-18. I know I am behind in booking places to stay. We are flying into Edinburgh from Belfast and have a 2 night stay in Edinburgh. (already booked at AirBnB). After two nights in Edinburgh, my thoughts were to travel the following route but I keep second guessing myself if this is the best use of our time. I plan to rent a car and drive to St. Andrews. We want to see the University, then end up at the end of the day in Pitlochry or Inverness but leaning towards Pitlochry since we do want to see Blair Castle and trying to fit St Andrews, Blair castle and end in Inverness for the night may be way too much. If we stay in Pitlochry then next morning (day three) leave for Inverness, boat trip on Loch Ness and ultimately end up in Fort Williams for the 4th night (is that too long of a day?). Day 5 drive through Glencoe, through Loch Lomond and continue onto Glasgow. Last two nights in Glasgow and on last full day taking a day trip to Sterling. Does this sound feasible or does anyone have any other suggestions?

5 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with travel through Scotland

I forgot to add we are flying out of Glasgow on 8-14-18.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,390 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with travel through Scotland

I think it’s ok.

Yes, stop at Pitlochry, the next day, providing an early start (9am) you could easily fit in Blair Castle, travel up to Inverness, sail on Loch Ness, visit Culloden, Clava Cairns (Standing Stones) and make it to Fort William, it will be a long day, but plenty of Daylight.

You could of course stop for the night around Ft Augustus nearer Loch Ness.

Then it’s a straight run down the A82 through Glencoe, just before Glasgow you pass Loch Lomond, so you can take that in, Luss is ideal to see the Loch.

It’s Stirling by the way.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 11:44
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
11,312 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with travel through Scotland

Yes, driving to and overnighting in Pitlochry is a much better idea, giving you time for Blair Castle next day. Don't miss the interior of the castle.

St Andrews is a beautiful town and you will need a good couple of hours to wander around, even if it's JUST the University buildings you want to see. You can find free parking at Petherum Bridge car park which is on the right as you enter St Andrews at the very first roundabout. Spaces are difficult to come by ( because it's free!) but if there is nothing there, continue on up the hill and straight across into the Argyle Street car park which you need to pay for.

The Lammas Fair, " the oldest surviving medieval street fair" is on in St Andrews from Friday 10th August until Tuesday 14th August. Parking, and moving around town will be heavily restricted. Avoid at all costs. I can't quite work out the dates you plan to be in St Andrews,.note that here on the other side of the pond, we write 10/8 for

10th August NOT 8/10 ( which to us would be the 8th of October!!)

Edited: 09 June 2018, 15:22
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with travel through Scotland

Thank you so much for the advice, and I am sorry about the dates. I wrote it reversed and realized my mistake later. We are going in August. We want to see a lot of St. Andrews and not just the University- my daughter's dream is to see the University and maybe study abroad there. Thank you again.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with travel through Scotland

Thank you. That sounds like the plan then. I truly appreciate your input.

Reply to: Need help with travel through Scotland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted