We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow - yellow weather warning ?

New York
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Glasgow - yellow weather warning ?

Hi! So I’m psyched that my long-planned trip to Scotland is finally here, but I’m reading about severe weather on Saturday. I’ll be arriving around 11 am on Sunday - are the t-storms supposed to clear out by then? Although disappointed that the weather for my trip looks to be pretty bad, I will make the most of it - rainy, cloudy Scotland will be more beautiful than most places on sunny days. However, I’m nervous about flying into the teeth of a nasty storm, and am hoping that it won’t last.

Thank you!

Betsy

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
24 replies to this topic
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,533 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow - yellow weather warning ?

It's only a yellow warning, it means there could be heavy localised rain with localised flooding. A mile away you won't know anything is happening

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
33,116 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow - yellow weather warning ?

Yankeesgirl you are arriving on Sunday and there are no weather warnings for then. Sunny spells, a bit of cloud in the afternoon and dry & bright for the rest of the week

https:/…

The airport is in Paisley about half an hour from Glasgow and has no weather warnings.

The site that's linked updates every hour so if you want to check if you need a jacket or not there you go

So you are probably going to have a really good time ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Paisley
Paisley
Renfrewshire, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow - yellow weather warning ?

We have just had the longest spell of sunny weather for many years.

Hopefully it will last a bit longer while you are here.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,944 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow - yellow weather warning ?

Yellow warning for “heavy rain”! NO Storms!

I have the Met Office App.

It has a Rainfall Radar page, whereby you can zoom in on any area, and over the course of a day track rainfall (shown in coloured squares, each colour representing light to heavy rain in inches).

For Glasgow area it shows around 4pm rainfall at a maximum of 2-4 inches passing through, the rest of the day is clear, so that’s the warning! Heavy showers! Right now, the Sun is splitting the Sky.

Relax, don’t fret!

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,944 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glasgow - yellow weather warning ?

Correction; 2-4mm of rain, per hour, not inches!

Edited: 09 June 2018, 18:35
Scotland
Level Contributor
937 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glasgow - yellow weather warning ?

Put down those oilskins! You won't be needing them. Some parts of Central Scotland had some pretty exciting weather last Saturday - today does not look nearly as interesting. And the rest of the week looks pretty good, if a little cooler than it has been.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow Central Tours
Glasgow Central Tours
2,655 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glasgow - yellow weather warning ?

I was worried about a yellow warning the last day of our recent trip. The kind people on this board reassured me. The morning was cloudy and then the sun came out! I think it may have rained a little while we were in a museum. You will have a fantastic time. No worries. Do bring layers. I often went from two layers of fleece in the morning to a short sleeve t by the afternoon.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,091 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glasgow - yellow weather warning ?

If you don't like the weather in Scotland - wait 20 minutes ...

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,944 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glasgow - yellow weather warning ?

Let’s go over Live to our Weatherman in Glasgow!

Well Sun was shining, around 24c, as the afternoon wore on puffy clouds started forming, becoming thicker and darker, at 15:25 it started raining intermittently, Sun was still breaking through, some really dark menacing looking clouds to the NE of the City but so far nothing in my view that warranted a Yellow Warning ⚠️, in fact the streets have all dried up again, and the Sun is still popping out now and again.

Of course 10 miles away it could be a different story, but as I said earlier, don’t fret! Nobody comes to Scotland to get a Sun Tan!

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,112 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Glasgow - yellow weather warning ?

In the southside of Glasgow there have been some rumbles of thunder and rain started a few minutes before 3pm and finished just after. Streets dry but there may be more rain later. Or not.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Reply to: Glasgow - yellow weather warning ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted