We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rosslyn Chapel Glen Walk

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
78 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Rosslyn Chapel Glen Walk

Hello,

We will be in Edinburgh next week and plan to visit Rosslyn Chapel. We are hoping to walk through the Glen and get to Rosslyn Castle. I have difficulty with steep hills. Can anyone comment on the terrain and hills to get to the castle? Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Rosslyn Chapel
Rosslyn Chapel
2,871 Reviews
Roslin, UK
Rosslyn Castle
Rosslyn Castle
175 Reviews
Roslin, UK
4 replies to this topic
Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
5,537 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rosslyn Chapel Glen Walk

Chapel to Castle is only a few hundred yards and relatively flat but you can't enter the Castle grounds.[Years ago you could and the 'Below Ground' apartments are very extensive]. BUT if you want to walk the Glen which starts at the Castle then you have a very steep downhill slope followed by a relatively rough path down along the River Esk. You don't mention where you intend to leave the Glen as you can walk all the way to Musselburgh which takes about 4 hours.

Mentioned in this post
The Castle Tavern
The Castle Tavern
1,448 Reviews
Inverness, UK
Musselburgh
Musselburgh
East Lothian, UK
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rosslyn Chapel Glen Walk

In addiiton to the comment above there is a pubic car park down in Rosslyn Glen (this is below the chapel car park) from where you can walk the glen in two directions; upstream or downstream. The upstream one is easier as its a decent wide gravel path and mainly flat(ish). The downstream one is much rougher, basicaly just a rough earthen footpath and can be very muddy in places.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
78 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rosslyn Chapel Glen Walk

Thank you for your comments! On the Rosslyn Chapel website, it says the castle is a ten minute walk from the chapel through the woods and there are ruins along the way. That is the only walk that I was hoping to do and wondered if that stretch is relatively flat/easy. Based on the response from MikeBR, it sounds like that section is relatively easy.

Mentioned in this post
Rosslyn Chapel
Rosslyn Chapel
2,871 Reviews
Roslin, UK
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rosslyn Chapel Glen Walk

Hvae read at https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Rev… and make your mind up. I cant recall If I have walked between the two but the map indicates that, going from the chapel to castle, the road goes down and then up again and of course reverse on the way back.

Reply to: Rosslyn Chapel Glen Walk
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted