We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary Dinner

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Anniversary Dinner

Yikes .....my tiny brain just realized I need to come up with an Allstar dinner for our anniversary on a Saturday night, instead of plain old camping food!!

We'll be traveling the north coast for 12 days in a campervan. Our first night camping will be Dornoch on Aug 24. The 2nd night, Sat Aug 25, (which is our 40th anniversary) was originally planned at the John O'groats caravan park. Mainly to hike around the Duncansby light house and stacks.The main drawback to this plan is having a great dinner with wine nearby. I'm now thinking we should just stop and hike this area during the day, and then choose to camp at a place that can accommodate our need for a special dinner.

We both really love fresh seafood...... so...how about Captain's Galley in Scrabster and camp at Thurso Bay Caravan Park? Our next night is Durness or Scourie so it would need to be somewhere between Dornoch and those 2 towns. Open to any suggestions. Camping nearby is preferable. Seafood is preferable too. Obviously not fish and chips. Would probably be wise to book a reservation, eh? Thanks for any input!

Mentioned in this post
Dornoch
Dornoch
Caithness and Sutherland, UK
John O'Groats
John O'Groats
Thurso
Thurso
Durness
Durness
Scourie
Scourie
7 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,811 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary Dinner

Does your dinner have to be on the day itself? John O'Groats is a lovely campsite, enjoy the area and buy in some nice steak to cook or whatever you fancy.I personally find a picnic in a gorgeous place more romantic than any fine dining much as I do love that experience too.

The Kylesku Hotel would make for a lovely special occasion place later in your holiday...or go Michelin and book The Albannach in Lochinver.Or The Inver Lodge for great views and Albert Roux food.

Mentioned in this post
John O'Groats
John O'Groats
Kylesku Hotel
Kylesku Hotel
644 Reviews
Kylesku, UK
The Albannach
The Albannach
176 Reviews
Lochinver, UK
Lochinver
Lochinver
Inver Lodge Hotel
Inver Lodge Hotel
433 Reviews
Lochinver, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,772 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary Dinner

The only place serving food in Durness in an evening is the sango sands campsite bar. It was ok pub grub but not somewhere I'd class as an anniversary meal. Kylesku hotel is beautiful - you know the seafood is fresh when they take your order and have to check if the mussels have been cleaned for cooking yet because the boat came in late!

Mentioned in this post
Durness
Durness
Kylesku Hotel
Kylesku Hotel
644 Reviews
Kylesku, UK
Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary Dinner

Scotlandmac....Agree with you, that the actual date can probably be pushed some, for the best dinner location. If the weather is nice enough to sit out, I could easily prepare a salmon fillet or some other fresh fish at the John O'Groats site. Looks like the closest camping to Kylesku is near Scourie if we choose to do a dinner there. Any thing special in Dornoch? I'll also look into the places near Lochinver too. Although Monday night might not be an available evening for some restaurants. Will probably spend a night in Applecross. Perhaps there is a nice restaurant choice there too?

Mentioned in this post
John O'Groats
John O'Groats
Kylesku
Kylesku
Scourie
Scourie
Dornoch
Dornoch
Lochinver
Lochinver
Applecross
Applecross
Ross and Cromarty, UK
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,811 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary Dinner

I haven't used the formal camping sites apart from John O'Groats and also Clachtoll (nearer Lochinver).We tend to wild camp mostly. Just at Tarbet, where the boat to Handa Island leaves there is this little place,very good for seafood but closes around 7pm I think.

http://www.shorehousetarbet.co.uk

Dornoch - haven't eaten there for years but there have always been several options there.Or do you mean Durness? In Durness, Cocoa mountain is well worth a stop if you like chocolate; brilliant for hand made artisan chocolate of the finest quality.Incredible flavours.

Applecross and the wider area including Torridon - several excellent options.

Check the Applecross Inn (though it is above average pub food rather than finer dining); The Potting Shed cafe is very nice, more upmarket than the usual cafe, should book though for evening meal.

In Torridon, the 5 star Torridon Hotel does a top notch set price dinner though not cheap! An experience.Beautiful place.

Gille Brighde in beautiful Diabaig is a lovely special wee place too, good food and of course far less formal!

http://www.gille-brighde.com

Edited: 12 June 2018, 22:56
Mentioned in this post
John O'Groats
John O'Groats
Lochinver
Lochinver
Tarbet
Tarbet
Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, UK
Dornoch
Dornoch
Durness
Durness
Applecross
Applecross
Ross and Cromarty, UK
Torridon
Torridon
Ross and Cromarty, UK
Applecross Inn
Applecross Inn
813 Reviews
Applecross, UK
The Potting Shed
The Potting Shed
460 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Gille Brighde
Gille Brighde
231 Reviews
Torridon, UK
Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary Dinner

Thanks .. looks like we have many options. Dornoch is first stop that's why I mentioned it. We do plan on using sanctioned caravan sites to camp at for the convenience of showers and bathrooms.. Still plan on a few wild beach hikes. I really like the looks of The Shore House after a visit to Handa.

Weather conditions will probably play a big part in whether we have a cooked camp meal or head out to a local restaurant. But I think we will mostly do our own breakfasts and lunch and try and go out for dinners. I am ok with a camp meal if the weather cooperates and we are sitting at a stunning site. So looking forward to this trip!

Mentioned in this post
Dornoch
Dornoch
The Shore House
The Shore House
259 Reviews
Lochgoilhead, UK
Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary Dinner

When you have 40yrs on the clock PG, i'm sure a few days here or there won't matter.

I can understand the need for finding a nice restaurant especially after your weeks of camping and home made grub, but i can't think of a better way of spending it than looking out over some fantastic scenery in a foreign land, glass in hand, some epic PG offerings and D at your side.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary Dinner

Too true Axel..... we're very adaptable. Just hoping the weather makes it easy enough to deal with a few campground meals. Planning on you, to come up with a stellar 2 day Skye itinerary of sights and hikes. Early starts are not a problem.

England just went up 3 -nil to Panama. I'm sure you're a happy boy!!!

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Reply to: Anniversary Dinner
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted