We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow - 1st day

New York
Level Contributor
294 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Glasgow - 1st day

No, I won’t bombard you with 14 separate posts for each of my days in Scotland, but I wanted to list about today, as you’ll see why.

I love the Glasgow airport, the way the walls are covered in posters advertising the beauty of the Trossachs, etc. One doorway was decorated like a tree, so it felt like I was walking into the woods. I could have done with an elevator to the baggage claim, though - it was not easy struggling with my luggage down two or three flights of stairs, lol.

So, I knew the roads would be closed off due to a women’s run today, but it was really bad - and my taxi driver had no idea. It must have taken him 15 minutes once we got into town to find a decent route to my guest house. He tried so hard to get the guards to let him go down a couple of the closed roads because of my luggage, but no luck, so I had to walk several blocks, over often broken pavement, with my carry on in one hand and my impossibly heavy big piece in the other, often switching hands. Thank god to was refreshingly breezy today and not hot; by the time I got to the Alamo Guest House, I was in terrible shape, lol.

Anyway, it turns out that I brought the wrong adapter - it’s for the continent, not UK, so I’ll need to buy one as I doubt the inns I’m staying in on my tour will have.

Ok, the good stuff. I just made it to the University for the student-led tour (boy, it’s true - Glaswegians are SO kind and friendly; one girl saw me clearly tying to figure out if I was going the right way, and she stopped to ask if I was ok). The University is stunningly gorgeous - and the tour was interesting and informative; I was fascinated by the fact that the limestone is so porous that it has absorbed the coal, smoke and various byproducts of industrialization and pollution.

I had no energy by then to spend the remaining time until closing at the Hunterian (about 40 minutes), so I just hopped in the Hop On, Hop Off bus....and had a great time. The weather was gorgeous, the information about the sites interesting, and the sights themselves beautiful. I’m only regretting that some of the places I wanted to see - Botanical Garden, People’s Palace, etc.. - will have to wait for next time. The 4 hour food/history walking tour I booked is going to eat up half of one of my remaining days - Tuesday. I’m spending Monday at Kelvingrove and Riverside, and post tour at the Cathedral and Necropolis.

Ultimately, I fell in love with Glasgow. I think it’s beautiful, and I felt very comfortable here - and that’s important for me. I love all the green spaces, I love the museums, I love the intimacy of the city, Maybe that sounds strange, but I’m used to NYC (my home city) or Chicago - cities with huge skyscrapers and just an overall big city vibe. No, not all U.S. cities I love are like that, but still - Glasgow is Scotland’s largest city, and it doesn’t feel like that. I DID get a laugh at seeing the contrast between pretty much all the streets, with the usual amount of pedestrians, and Buchanan Street (which I saw from the bus), which was packed, lol.

Sisters, by the way, was delicious - I had one of the best desserts ever, some honeycomb, meringue and ice cream concoction

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Trossachs Holiday Park
Trossachs Holiday Park
100 Reviews
Aberfoyle, UK
Alamo Guest House
Alamo Guest House
741 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Kelvingrove Park
Kelvingrove Park
952 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
The Necropolis
The Necropolis
2,790 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
NYC
NYC
247 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Buchanan Street
Buchanan Street
4,542 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
23 replies to this topic
Scotland
Level Contributor
943 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow - 1st day

Glad you are off to a good start. Also glad the stewards stood firm and protected the runners. The Botanics are open in the evening (although the glasshouses shut at six) so you could still see them, maybe walking along the Kelvin Way to get there. You would probably enjoy the area around the Botanics as well (Great Western Road/ Byres Road/Ashton Lane).

(I spent the afternoon driving around to the north of Glasgow on country roads, everywhere is looking fabulous (except for many of the actual roads, unfortunately).

Mentioned in this post
Kelvin Hotel
Kelvin Hotel
332 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,933 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow - 1st day

Whoops! I totally forgot about the 10K Run 🏃‍♀️, or I would have warned you!

You forgot to mention the “soundtrack” of the Woods playing as you come along that corridor towards Immigration at GLA!

The way the Pier is laid out is that you have to go along that corridor which is below the departure gates, each Airbridge has its own staircase leading down so not possible to put in elevators for each one.

If you liked what you saw today then plenty more delights tomorrow.

Mentioned in this post
New York
Level Contributor
294 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow - 1st day

David, I agree - although I appreciate that the taxi driver cared enough to ask; LOL he didn’t know about the closures, and said that the wasn’t going to go into town again today,

I have dinner reservations at Mother India at 7pm, so I don’t think that would be possible, unless I just rush through the Riverside. Then again, maybe I can work it out. If I stay through the organ recital at Kelvingrove, which ends at 1:30, I can (assuming I have lunch at the museum), take the Hop On, Hop Off bus to the Botanics, spend maybe a hour or an hour and a half there, and then take the bus to Riverside. I wouldn’t have a ton of time there, but I’d have a good taste (I really want to see the street scenes).

Madscotsman, I appreciate that ! The woman at Alamo said that they just found out on very short notice, and were trying to notify guests who were arriving today, However, there’s really nothing that could be done - people arriving had to get there (or wherever they were staying); it’s not like they could avoid Glasgow until the roads reopened.

Ah, understood. Well, I made it through, lol.

Oh, I didn’t hear that - or if I did, I didn’t notice. Darn!

I can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings!

Mentioned in this post
Mother India
Mother India
1,137 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
The Riverside
The Riverside
954 Reviews
Dunblane, UK
Kelvingrove Park
Kelvingrove Park
952 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Alamo Guest House
Alamo Guest House
741 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow - 1st day

Please do give a daily report. I,for one, would love it being that I'll be there on July 9th!! I'd love to hear a review on Mother India, and are reservations necessary? Thank you!!!

Mentioned in this post
Mother India
Mother India
1,137 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Glasgow - 1st day

No need to take the bus to get to the Botanics just walk along the side of the Kelvin or if you wish wander along Kelvin Way towards Gt Western Rd then turn left and head to the gardens. as suggested by David in the first reply. Starting at the Riverside museum, have a look at the Glenlee too, then Kelvingrove and then the Botanics would make sense logistically. You can have lunch at the cafe as you listen to the organ recital. Yesterday there was the choice of the recital, which goes on for longer on a Sunday, or a large outdoor ceilidh which was fun to watch.

" The woman at Alamo said that they just found out on very short notice, " odd as there have been signs up about the 10K for ages

Mentioned in this post
Kelvin Hotel
Kelvin Hotel
332 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
The Riverside
The Riverside
954 Reviews
Dunblane, UK
Alamo Guest House
Alamo Guest House
741 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glasgow - 1st day

Great report. It's always nice to see someone report on Glasgow from a fresh outlook - often Glasgow gets referred to as an "industrial city" which (although there are some industrial areas) couldn't be further from the truth.

It's funny that you say it doesn't feel like a "big city" but I guess coming from the US (especially NY) you won't be used to the lack of massively tall buildings. You'll find that in most UK cities (excluding London), skyscrapers are much of a thing over here.

Enjoy Mother India, even the though of it is making my mouth water.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
London
London
England, UK
Mother India
Mother India
1,137 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,830 posts
511 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glasgow - 1st day

Lovely report.Mother India is excellent, love it.Though not too far away, the Little Curry House on Byres Road can give it a run for it's money now at cheaper prices (it's owned by a previous head chef at Mother India.)

Mentioned in this post
Mother India
Mother India
1,137 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,933 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glasgow - 1st day

Ah but which Mother India?

The one directly opposite Kelvingrove Museum or the one along the road at Westminster Terrace (Sauchiehall St)

Mentioned in this post
Mother India
Mother India
1,137 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Kelvingrove Park
Kelvingrove Park
952 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
New York
Level Contributor
294 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glasgow - 1st day

Madscotsman, thank you for reminding me that there are 2 Mother India’s! I’m going to the restaurant ...

I ended up going to Kelvingrove this morning, and it was magnificent, I did the Dutch Masters, French Art, Scottish Identity in Art, and the Glasgow Boys, My foot was barking, as it’s been since I arrived, so I took the Hop on, Hop Off bus to Riverside, which I absolutely loved. It’s a lovely little museum, and I had a great time wandering in and out of the shops in the street scene from 1895-1930. Unfortunately no Botanic Garden, but perhaps tomorrow ...l’m going to try and make it!

StuGla, thanks ! Someone today said that Glasgow reminds her of Brooklyn - while I haven’t been there in years, I can see that. Actually, much of Manhattan is not filled with skyscrapers - that’s pretty much only Midtown; otherwise it’s filled with neighborhoods. I definitely don’t view Glasgow as “industrial”. I’m so impressed with all the museums and green spaces...It’s maybe even a bit like Paris? I’d need to see more to confirm that, though...

Scotlandmac, thanks ! Also, yum....I’ll report about Mother India later !

Mentioned in this post
Mother India
Mother India
1,137 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
The Scottish Cafe & Restaurant
The Scottish Cafe...
769 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Glasgow - 1st day

"I’m going to the restaurant" there is more than one Mother India restaurant as madscotman indicated.

Enjoy whichever one you end up at.

Reply to: Glasgow - 1st day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted