We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to travel from Wales to Scotland??

Penang Island...
9 posts
Save Topic
best way to travel from Wales to Scotland??

hello ...

next year is my holiday in UK in june 2011..

so i would like to take your opinion about Scotland...what i understand from before Scotland is very nice country to visit...i like with Scottish ....meal and also culture...

so let me know what is the best way to travel from Wales to Scotland...???

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to travel from Wales to Scotland??

You need to be very much more specific - where in Wales to where in Scotland - both are big places.

As a generalisation - car gives you much more flexibility on travel outside cities.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,806 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to travel from Wales to Scotland??

Or you could get a train or bus then rent a car when you get to Scotland. You MUST have a couple of days in Edinburgh and you certainly will not need a car when you are in the city as the public transport system is excellent.

Woody x

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
187 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to travel from Wales to Scotland??

There are flights between Cardiff and Glasgow or Edinburgh which may be an option.

You could fly to Glasgow then hire a car and visit places on the west coast.

Edited: 05 September 2010, 18:22
Penang Island...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best way to travel from Wales to Scotland??

From Swansea to Edinburgh Scotland

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,806 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best way to travel from Wales to Scotland??

You would see more of the countryside from a train....

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,763 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best way to travel from Wales to Scotland??

I do this route mostly by car ( approx nine hour drive inc stops but without traffic hold-ups). The rail trip is a more pleasant way to travel and gives you the opportunity to see the countryside and stretch your legs. If you book approx 12 weeks before your trip you will hopefully be able to avail of the cheaper rates/advance tickets. You can sign up to the likes of thetrainline.com with your dates of travel and they will email you an alert when the cheap tickets are released.

nationalrail.co.uk is also a good place to figure out routes, prices and timetables and has up to date info on planned maintenance etc.

You also have the option of flying.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best way to travel from Wales to Scotland??

Train would give the best views. You have to change trains between Swansea and Edinburgh. The easiest route encompasses a single change at Crewe. Total journey time 7.5 hrs. See www.nationalrail.co.uk for route planning. There is a service leaving Swansea at around 08.50 that gets you to Edinburgh by about 4.30pm.

Abs :-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
958 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best way to travel from Wales to Scotland??

For trains within Scotland you should look at www.scotrail.co.uk (this website also sells tickets to/from any station in Scotland, Wales or England). I am not aware of any direct trains from Swansea to Edinburgh, but you could do the journey by changing in Crewe (exactly as Abs140 suggests in reply 7).

Another option would be to fly from Cardiff to Edinburgh with bmibaby - www.bmibaby.com - or FlyBe - www.flybe.com

Edited: 06 September 2010, 06:47
9. Re: best way to travel from Wales to Scotland??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2011, 14:32