We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 night advice

Level Contributor
177 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
5 night advice

We are 50 and love hiking , scenery , nature, castles and history. We are going for 10 nights to Ireland and I can't resist tacking on a 5 night trip to Scotland

Please check out my rough plans and critique or advise. Thanks!

Day 1 Edinburg

Arrive from Dublin see castle , old town

Day 2 Drive to , Blair castle , Steflinfg,Pitlochry, thru cairngorm np

To Inverness

Day 3 Drive thru Loch Ness

Urquhart and Elilean Donan castles to Isle of sky ( bridge possible or need ferry ? )

Day 4 full day Isle of sky

Day 5 , yes I know , long day drive back to Edinburg via Glencoe, Ft William , Ben Nevis, Gkenfinin via duct and whatever else we can find.

Day 6 fly home

Thanks

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 night advice

What time of year are you planning on doing this trip?

You identify one long day driving, but it is more like 3 on this plan (Days 2, 3 and 5 - does Steflinfg = Stirling?).

If coming in the summer, then you can enjoy daylight well on towards 10pm, so chance to enjoy the scenery, but if coming before March, the days will be much shorter and a lot of your driving may be completed in darkness.

Level Contributor
177 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 night advice

Thank you. Yes that was a typo. We plan to come June 1.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
24,558 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 night advice

For the route you are taking you will use the bridge over to Skye about ten minutes drive from Eilean Donan Castle and the ferry off of Skye to Mallaig and beyond. Skye is a large island so for the night of day 4 I would look to stay overnight in the Broadford or Sleat area of Skye so you can head for the ferry early morning.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Eilean Donan Castle
Eilean Donan Castle
3,395 Reviews
Kyle of Lochalsh, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Broadford
Broadford
Isle of Skye, UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 night advice

Thank you! Do I need reservations for the ferry off Skye?

Level Contributor
177 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 night advice

Also , if I was able to add an extra night after getting off ferry for drive back down to Edinburg ,where would you suggest stopping and what route should we drive ?

Level Contributor
177 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 night advice

Also , if I was able to add an extra night after getting off ferry for drive back down to Edinburg ,where would you suggest stopping and what route should we drive ?

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
18,531 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 night advice

IMHO 1 day in Edinburgh, which is full of History and has a Castle right in the town, is not enough time.

Also, there is a bridge to Skye no need for a ferry.

Loch Ness, is extremely busy all the time and very touristy and quite tacky, it is not the nicest Loch in Scotland and the big secret is, there is no monster, except for the plastic ones made in China that the shops are full of.

As someone with Irish family and background, now livng n Scotland, if I had the choice I would do 10 days in Scotland and 5 in Ireland. If you are going to the south of Ireland i.e. Eire is its more expensive than Scotland they also use the Euro and not Sterling. N.Ireland is part of the U.K. and does use Sterling.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Loch Ness
Loch Ness
1,312 Reviews
Loch Ness, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
14,547 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 night advice

I would disagree that the Republic of Ireland is more expensive than the North or Scotland. It seems more expensive because 140 euro is the same as £100,.

I would expect to be able to get Band B for 70 euro for a couple, and petrol and diesel is cheaper here.

No one here calls it Eire, it is Ireland, or the Republic.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
177 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 night advice

Yes , I can now see that Scotland deserves more time but for this trip just a small taste.... So, would Fort Williams be a good place to stay between Skye and Edinburg? We quite like to hike.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,020 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 night advice

In my opinion, Fort William is not a very attractive place to say. It's main appeal is as a base to explore the area, take the Harry Potter train, or visit Ben Nevis. Others may disagree!

Mentioned in this post
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Ben Nevis
Ben Nevis
1,947 Reviews
Fort William, UK