We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are restaurant reservations needed in April?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
21 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Are restaurant reservations needed in April?

Oban will be our base from April 19-21. How spontaneous can my friend and I be when it comes to settling on where to have dinners those three nights and still eat at nice places?

Mentioned in this post
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
11,181 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are restaurant reservations needed in April?

Not just Oban but anywhere, I would always suggest pre booking. There's nothing worse than turning up and being told, "Sorry we're full" ..or "come back in an hour, we'll have a table then"

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g186501-Oban_A…

If any of the places you plan to eat are on this list I would definitely pre book. How about reading the reviews and seeing if they say anything about pre booking? It also might give you some ideas on where you want to eat if you haven't already decided.

Enjoy your trip

Woody x

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
21 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are restaurant reservations needed in April?

Thank you for confirming what I had deduced from my research. But I wonder if our style of traveling - which is well-researched and planned out - skews the advice that's available. I don't know. I'd like to accommodate my serendipitous friend, but I'm worried that I don't have time to waste waiting for a table when every moment of this trip will be precious to me.

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
19,070 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are restaurant reservations needed in April?

In the U.K we generally book tables in restaurants. It just makes sure they have a table ready for us and we are not turned away. I would imagine as you are going in April, it will be quieter as it is not the main tourist season, so no problem gettng seated.

Have a look at the list of restaurants here, lots of seafood in Oban.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g1…

Mentioned in this post
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
3,202 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are restaurant reservations needed in April?

I think Tripadvisor makes pre-booking a really good idea. It used to be the case that you would have to book for the handful of restaurants highlighted in Rough Guide and Lonely Planet, but nowadays you should really consider booking if you want to get into the best-reviewed restaurants anywhere.

5. Re: Are restaurant reservations needed in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2017, 13:16