We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant and other stuff !

Level Contributor
449 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant and other stuff !

We are off too palnackie way in a cottage in August for our honeymoon with our dog and son for a week of rest and fun ! Never been too Scotland before so want to do some exploring !! We would like to go to a really good restaurant one night too , something a bit special , we don't mind a bit of a drive , if anyone could recommend anything or anything other " must do's" in the area would appreciate it ! Thanks

Caerlaverock Castle
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Castles
Drumlanrig Castle
Art Museums, Castles, Historic Sites
Biggar, United...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
862 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant and other stuff !

Hi Louolouo, your base is in a very rural, quiet, picturesque area in the South of Scotland which I'm sure you will already know! Not sure how far you want to explore but if you want a week of "rest and fun" I wouldn't be thinking of travelling outside the Dumfries & Galloway Region (it's very large and there are a lot of things to see there without venturing further afield in Scotland). There is not a huge amount of fine dining restaurants in the area - if any - but plenty of places to get a nice meal (although not all places would allow the dog in which might restrict your options).

If you give an idea of your interests and child's age group I or others might be able to narrow down some suggestions of activities to suit.

Kirkcudbright is not to far from your base and is a nice town for a stroll around and The Selkirk Arms Hotel does very good meals. It's more a historic place than a fancy looking restaurant (reviewed on TA of course).

Level Contributor
449 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant and other stuff !

He is 8 and is into everything !!! He loves anything outdoors , we wanted rural that was our hope so I'm glad you have said that !!! We can leave the dog at the cottage so ok if some places don't allow dogs x

Biggar, United...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
862 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant and other stuff !

Apologies re the delay in coming back on this thread until now.

There are loads of things to do whilst taking in the scenery of the immediate and larger area.

Nearby you could have a look at Orchardton Tower and if history is of interest you could take a rowing boat out to Threave Castle, or visit a few other historic sites in the area such as Dundrennan Abbey, MacLellan's Castle in Kirkcudbright or Caerlavercock Castle (east of where you're staying). At Gatehouse of Fleet which is a nice little place there is also Cardoness Castle, or Laggan Outdoor (zip wire, etc) and Cream O'Galloway (ice cream place). For beaches try Brighouse Bay near Kirkcudbright or Sandyhills - the nearby little marina at Kippford is picturesque and you can walk over the hill from there to Rockcliffe or vice versa (just remember you need to get back too).

If you want to explore further afield in the west you can go right across to the Mull of Galloway which has a lighthouse (visits possible at certain times) and there is a lovely beach at Port Logan near there. North of your base you could go up to Wanlockhead to the highest village in Scotland and visit the Lead Mining Museum (where you can tour down a mine or do panning for gold) - there is a small narrow guage railway near there too. If you haven't overloaded on castles by then Drumlanrig Castle is a large pile belonging to the Duke of Buccleuch which is in the style of Downton Abbey on a larger scale!

If you've still got energy have a look at Dino Park near Carrutherstown near Dumfries which would possibly be of interest.

All these places I've mentioned are online and possibly on TA too for reviews to help you plan. Even if you don't do half of the stuff mentioned I'm sure you'll enjoy a visit to the area.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant and other stuff !

No good for dinner, but great for lunch: camphillfoundation.net/locharthur/…

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
362 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant and other stuff !

We've had good meals at the Murray Arms and the Masonic pub, both at Gatehouse of Fleet. The Masonic takes dogs in the bar area but probably not in the restaurant. Dogs are also welcome at the Mill on the Fleet visitor centre where you can get a coffee.

We only discovered Dumfries and Galloway a few years ago, it's an overlooked gem of an area, with lots of beautiful places to go.

Cardoness Beach is a private beach that belongs to Cardoness House (not the castle) 2 or 3 miles beyond Gatehouse of Fleet. It costs visitors £3 to park up for the day but there is a dog walking path along the shore and through woodland. Look out for the oddly blue-coloured shells.

If you've got even the slightest interest in birds you should head for Bellymack Farm, near Laurieston, where they feed the local population of red kites each day at 2pm. It is an amazing sight to stand almost under around 200 of them as they wheel down to pick up bits of chicken. There is usually an RSPB representative there to answer questions.

gallowaykitetrail.com/item-38-bellymack-hill…

ing-station

D&G is officially a 'dark sky' park so on a clear night it might be worth keeping your son up 11pmish and properly dark so he can see the Milky Way in all its glory. There are one or two designated spots for sky watching but anywhere away from a street light will do.

…forestry.gov.uk/forest-parks/…dark-skies

If you intend doing some cooking in your cottage there is a lovely farm shop just beyond Dumfries - Kilnford Barns - that sells lots of foodie treats. It's also got an excellent coffee shop.

http://www.kilnford.co.uk/

Level Contributor
449 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant and other stuff !

Thank you so much for all that info everyone !!!!! We have already booked the zip wire previously mentioned !!! I am very excited now to do some exploring ! My son will love all of the above mentioned ! Thank you very much !

7. Re: Restaurant and other stuff !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2018, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Dumfries and Galloway