We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garden of Cosmic Speculation aka Portrack House

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
18 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Garden of Cosmic Speculation aka Portrack House

Greetings, I wanted to get a feel for what it's like to visit here the one day a year it is open but didn't see anything when searching for either "Portrack House" or "Garden of Cosmic Speculation".

Sorry if I missed post about this, but I'd love to hear from others who have been here to see if it is considered worth building a trip around the day it's open.

thanks,

Jeff

Mentioned in this post
Garden of Cosmic Speculation
Garden of Cosmic...
51 Reviews
Dumfries, UK
17 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,082 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Garden of Cosmic Speculation aka Portrack House

One review on here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g190921-…

I can see the issue as the reviewer notes - another example of Trip Advisor's off-beat geography!

There's a couple of mentions in hotel reviews:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186513-d1…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186513-d1…

The limited opening and misplaced TA listing may be the cause of so few reviews!

Have you read the latest Louise Penny novel where it features - that's where I first became aware of it by name though I think I've seen it on a TV gardening programme some years ago

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
18 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Garden of Cosmic Speculation aka Portrack House

Thanks so very much CheresX. It's no wonder I didn't find it. I'll take a look at my library for the Louise Penny; haven't read her to date.

It won't be this year, but the idea of building a trip around this is quite appealing.

thank you,

Jeff

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garden of Cosmic Speculation aka Portrack House

The "one day a year" comment probably derived from here:

scotlandsgardens.org/gardens/garden/6f8a52d7…

You might also care to look at Jupiter Artland, much nearer Edinburgh - you'll recognise a few common themes, and the latter is open most days of the year.

https://www.jupiterartland.org/

http://www.charlesjencks.com/#!projects

Mentioned in this post
Jupiter Artland
Jupiter Artland
407 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Biggar, United...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
885 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Garden of Cosmic Speculation aka Portrack House

I lived in Dumfries for many years but had never heard of this - looks very interesting however.

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Dumfries
Dumfries
Dumfries and Galloway, UK
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,082 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Garden of Cosmic Speculation aka Portrack House

Jeff - if you enjoy crime novels then I'd recommend Louise Penny's series - she's an award winner, too. Her main detective is from the Montreal Surete with the most common setting being around a (fictional) village in Quebec. I hope what I've said isn't too much of a "spoiler".

If you are interested in gardens there are others (more traditional perhaps) in the same region.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,958 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Garden of Cosmic Speculation aka Portrack House

Just revisiting this interesting thread as I've been asked if its possible to get to the Gardens by public transport from Glasgow?

I've failed to find a route using public transport, but perhaps I'm having a senior moment. Do-able?

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Biggar, United...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
885 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Garden of Cosmic Speculation aka Portrack House

Ha ha Purple C! Good test. Event is on Sunday 3 May 2015 between 12.00pm and 5.00pm and public transport is never at it's best on a Sunday.

I can't see anything obvious from Ayr however if the visitor was to get to Sanquhar the #246 bus leaves at 12.25pm from High Street and they could get off at Portrack road end then walk for about 15 minutes, arriving at around 1.15pm.

Return on #102 bus (Edinburgh) from Portrack road end at 5.13pm, get off at the Cross at Thornhill (opposite Bank) and then catch the #236 to Sanquhar at 5.55pm arriving there at 6.14pm.

From Dumfries it's a shorter trip - the #246 bus from Whitesands at 10.58am would get them there by around 11.30am (drops off at Portrack road end & same walk). Return on #102 bus at 4.18pm from Portrack road end and back to Dumfries Whitesands by 4.58pm.

So it is possible at least from Sanquhar or Dumfries but needless to say you wouldn't want to miss any buses or it would be a long walk (or wait).

explore-dumfries-galloway.com/transport/…

Mentioned in this post
Ayr
Ayr
South Ayrshire, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Dumfries
Dumfries
Biggar, United...
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
885 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Garden of Cosmic Speculation aka Portrack House

I tried to edit but ran out of time when I re-read your question indicating traveller was from Glasgow - the answer to that one is no it's not possible to get from there same day and back on a Sunday as far as I can see.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,958 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Garden of Cosmic Speculation aka Portrack House

Thank you so much rantin rover! Thats some excellent advice right there and is much appreciated. I will pass on the information. Maybe the people wishing to attend will consider spending the night before in Dumfries or Ayr. There are tour buses going from Glasgow but it sold out in record time. All this talk has given me the urge to go myself, but I won;t be in the country this year. Maybe next year. It looks amazing!

Mentioned in this post
Dumfries
Dumfries
Ayr
Ayr
South Ayrshire, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Longview, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Garden of Cosmic Speculation aka Portrack House

Hello- I am planning to be in Glasgow this year and am interested in a tour bus to get the the Portrak house/Garden of Cosmic speculation on the one day - May 1st. Do you know who runs the tour buses? I have not been able to find this info. I hope it's not too late for this year!

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Garden of Cosmic Speculation
Garden of Cosmic...
51 Reviews
Dumfries, UK
Reply to: Garden of Cosmic Speculation aka Portrack House
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dumfries