We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you walk to Crichton Castle from Borthwick Castle?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
461 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Can you walk to Crichton Castle from Borthwick Castle?

We will be visiting Edinburgh for 4 days and are thinking of spending one night in Borthwick Castle. While there is it possible to walk to visit crichton castle? I have heard this may be possible...if so is there a path? Thanks!!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you walk to Crichton Castle from Borthwick Castle?

The two are pretty close together and should be a fairly easy walk along a quiet country road. There is a path - scotways.com/scotways_assets/…202011.pdf

edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you walk to Crichton Castle from Borthwick Castle?

Absolutely - I live in the area and we often walk our dog there. The two aren't that far apart and it's a nice walk through some lovely countryside.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you walk to Crichton Castle from Borthwick Castle?

Read the text it looks more like an assault course. I take it walking boots and waterproofs will be de rigeur for the walk.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you walk to Crichton Castle from Borthwick Castle?

Yes Alan - that's why I recommended the road. However the OP asked about a path so, as there is one I included the link so that the OP can make an informed decision on their preferred option.

edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you walk to Crichton Castle from Borthwick Castle?

The path can be muddy in places, so yes, I'd recommend walking boots - and waterproofs can be handy anywhere in Scotland at the best of times. It's still a nice walk though.

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
461 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you walk to Crichton Castle from Borthwick Castle?

thanks to all for the info! Craftbuddie, you mention a road......is there also the option of walking along road to get there as opposed to the path? Also, we are planning our visit for mid September, so maybe the path would be drier then?

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,219 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you walk to Crichton Castle from Borthwick Castle?

There a number of good walks from around Borthwick along the old railway, and apart from the 200 yard hike up the hill from Borthwick are then level and even in bad weather are not too muddy.

You are aware that if you stay in the Castle you have to do the 'Leep' between the towers :-) after dinner.

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
461 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you walk to Crichton Castle from Borthwick Castle?

Mike....leap? what leap? Sorry Im not aware of this good info!!

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,219 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you walk to Crichton Castle from Borthwick Castle?

You leap from Tower to Tower on the battlements of Borthwick Castle. You should be OK as it is now only used as a 'Trial' for unfaithful spouses.

To be more serious Borthwick is a wonderful 'Real' castle and you dine in the great hall where Mary Queen of Scots took her lovers and you can then relax in front of the fire.

Crichton is also very interesting and has an amazing 'Italian Wall'. I have many ancestors buried in the church yards of both Borthwick & Crichton. Both families were originally Hungarian

Edited: 08 February 2012, 03:45
Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
461 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you walk to Crichton Castle from Borthwick Castle?

Wow, thats very intersting Mike. I had originally planned 5 nights in Edinburgh, but I am definitely make a change and spend the last night in Borthwick. My wife and I love history and since looking into this castle and a bit of its history, have learned a little about Mary Queen of Scots. Sounds like she had a fascinating life. I have ordered a book about her life and am hoping to read it before we come in September. We are also going to visit Stirling castle and Holyrood Palace. Holyrood wasnt part of our intial plans, but I have read thats where Marys second husband (I think) and his cohorts killed the Italian who he thought was getting too close to Mary Queen of Scots . I have heard you can visit the apartment where it happened? Fascinating....