We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

golf in St. Andrews

appleton
Level Contributor
15 posts
golf in St. Andrews

We are amateur golfers who love the game and would enjoy playing 9-18 holes in the St. Andrews area. Our handicaps are not really low. Any suggestions about where to play?

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
127 reviews
1. Re: golf in St. Andrews

Hi

The Strathtyrum is the most higher handicap friendly course in St Andrews so that could be worth a look at.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
11,374 posts
178 reviews
2. Re: golf in St. Andrews

Slightly further out of St.Andrews (11 miles) is Elmwood Golf Course near Cupar. I know some of my higher handicap pals play there!

http://www.elmwoodgolf.co.uk/

Woody x

Edited: 06 May 2014, 03:36
North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
764 posts
196 reviews
3. Re: golf in St. Andrews

Consider a unique opportunity to play golf the "original" way. Near St Andrews, Kingarrock offers that option. You can also visit an historic property on the grounds. Check out the video. It is sure to entice you.

http://www.kingarrock.com/

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: golf in St. Andrews

Hi Jeanne,

Just about all visiting golfers are 'amateurs' so don't worry about that.

However, what are your handicaps? They don't need to be particularly low to be able to play most courses. Only a very few ask for proof, but obviously some would be a bit of a challenge for high handicappers.

In St. Andrews you could try the Eden or Strathryrum, the Torrance, or outside of the town Crail or Lundin. Both Crail and Lundin have lovely coastal views. The Torrance looks over St Andrews town. The Strathtyrum is the better choice for less experienced golfers but it all depends what experience you do have. There's even a 9 hole 'beginners' course, the Balgove.

appleton
Level Contributor
15 posts
5. Re: golf in St. Andrews

Thanks! I'll give that a look.

appleton
Level Contributor
15 posts
6. Re: golf in St. Andrews

Wow! That does sound like fun.l

appleton
Level Contributor
15 posts
7. Re: golf in St. Andrews

Thank you for the information. Our handicaps are just about 20. I'll check out your recommendations.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: golf in St. Andrews

Hi Jeanne,

With handicaps around 20 you can play almost anywhere - certainly don't restrict yourself to the beginner's courses.

Think about the New or Jubilee courses if you want a feel for classic St Andrews links, and if the budget permits Kingsbarns is a wonderful experience. They have several tee-ing points at each hole so the courses works for varying levels of golfer (but not newcomers to the game....).

Crail, Lundin, the Torrance etc are all still good choices.

If you are not bringing clubs with you remember to factor in the costs of club hire - and request rental clubs at the time of making your golf booking. In the St Andrews area I think club rental tends to be around £30 to £40 per set.

appleton
Level Contributor
15 posts
9. Re: golf in St. Andrews

Thank you very much. I'll do the research and see what's available when we're there.

10. Re: golf in St. Andrews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 13:15