We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow airport to st. andrews?

Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Glasgow airport to st. andrews?

student traveling with family (four) for the first time to visit University of St. Andrew's; we are flying into Glasgow airport and I am so lost as to the cheapest, best way to get to St. Andrew's. Can someone help please?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
35,022 posts
1 review
1. Re: Glasgow airport to st. andrews?

Cheapest and best generally aren't compatible.

Easiest & best will be to get a St Andrews based taxi company to drive you all the way.

Cheapest would be bus - changing at Glasgow and Dundee.

In any case you'd be looking at a journey of 2-3 hours

Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Glasgow airport to st. andrews?

I suppose I meant easiest really, since there is so much to plan already. Thank you for your reply! Do you know of any preferred taxi companies ?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Glasgow airport to st. andrews?

Bus is easy.

The airport bus,500 Glasgow Shuttle,takes you to Buchanan Bus Station in Glasgow.

Switch there to a Stagecoach bus direct to St.Andrews.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Glasgow airport to st. andrews?

The Stagecoach bus to St Andrews from the Buchanan Bus station (leaving from stance 6) is the X24.

The bus from the airport will likely arrive at stance 45/46.

The X24 departs hourly with a journey time of about 2hrs 30mins.

You can also get the Edinburgh shuttle train service from Glasgow Queen Street Station to Haymarket and change there for a train to Leuchars where you can get a connecting bus to St Andews but it'll also take around 2hrs 30min travelling time.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,834 posts
81 reviews
5. Re: Glasgow airport to st. andrews?

Just google Glasgow airport transfers and you will get lots of companies offering rides. for a saloon car expect to pay around £120 from Glasgow to St Andrews. I suppose you are moving there so will have lots of luggage and with four people, you will need a much larger vehicle. It's a 2 hour drive so you will need to be comfortable. This will be more expensive but just shop around.

The bus option above is your best public transport one.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
591 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Glasgow airport to st. andrews?

To be honest, the easiest option is to hire a car at the airport and drive to St Andrews. It's a fairly straightforward drive, mostly on freeways and is perfctly do-able in 2 hours. I would imagine that this will be significantly cheaper than a taxi and may well compare favourably to the fare on public transport for 4 people.

Presumably in visiting St Andrews you will also want to visit places in the surrounding area during your stay? Having a car will also help in this respect - St Andrews is a relatively small town and the surrounding area is fairly rural, so public transport can be quite patchy.

In comparison, all of the public transport options are pretty long journeys, the taxi option is very expensive and both leave you without easy transport during your stay. I would agree with Ronaldo though - If you must use public transport then the bus option is the easiest.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 18:27
Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Glasgow airport to st. andrews?

Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful, has me in a better position to narrow my options. This is my first visit and for my second I will choose Edinburgh airport (I fly with employee passes and Glasgow was the only one available). The latter will involve me alone and with a lot of luggage so I will have to better prepare. Thank you again

Fife, Scotland
Level Contributor
561 posts
71 reviews
8. Re: Glasgow airport to st. andrews?

Not much I can add, the best bet for public transport as mentioned is the X24 from Buchanan Street bus station is as you get straight through to St Andrews with no changes and here is the link to the bus times.

stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/…20.pdf

They are nice buses with air con, leather seats and have loads of luggage space.

Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Glasgow airport to st. andrews?

thank you so much for you help!

10. Re: Glasgow airport to st. andrews?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about St Andrews