We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mull to Mallaig via Lochaline

Leicestershire...
7 posts
Save Topic
Mull to Mallaig via Lochaline

I am planning a route from Mull to Mallaig crossing over to Sky in our Motorhome, our preferred route is to cross at Fishnish to Lochaline and follow the A884 which seems single track with passing places, can anyone share experiences along this route?

Many thanks,

Ian

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,924 posts
520 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mull to Mallaig via Lochaline

Yes it's a route we've done regularly - mostly driving 17 seater minibuses.

It's single track from Lochaline but with long sight lines initially. To be honest, I don't find it a hugely scenic road until Loch Sunart itself finally comes into view from the high point.From there, the single track road gets much windier with lots of bends (short sightlines) so watch this section as there is always ferry traffic coming the opposite way!

However, from Loch Sunart to Strontian and then Salen and on to Mallaig, it is a wildly scenic road.Very winding again to Salen.

It's a wonderful drive from Salen to Mallaig itself, on mostly good road, some single track but lots of normal carriageway too. I'd highly recommend it.Relatively quiet.

More scenic in it's early section is the Tobermory - Kilchoan ferry as you then travel the (incredibly) winding and pretty narrow single track from Kilchoan to Salen which joins up with your proposed route.BUT - with the big vehicle, it might not be such a comfortable drive.

Mentioned in this post
Salen
Salen
Isle of Mull, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
The Tobermory Hotel
The Tobermory Hotel
492 Reviews
Isle of Mull, UK
Leicestershire...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mull to Mallaig via Lochaline

Reallly appreciate your respose, I kind of thought this route otherwise back to Oban and up to Mallaig via Fort William what do you think?

Mentioned in this post
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mull to Mallaig via Lochaline

If you are confident about driving your motorhome on single track roads, and especially about reversing into passing places, then it will be fine. It's a much better route than going all the way round via Oban.

Mentioned in this post
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,924 posts
520 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mull to Mallaig via Lochaline

No I'd definitely go for your chosen route which takes you through some of wonderful Ardnamurchan. It is really beautiful and much quieter and 'off the beaten track ' in feel and lovelier again IMO, than simply going from Oban through Fort William then west (where the two routes meet up at Loch Ailort).

If you have sailed from Oban you will have enjoyed what I think is the loveliest ferry crossing of all the routes but stick to your plan. Sorry if I put you off the first bit of the Lochaline route!

Mentioned in this post
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Leicestershire...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mull to Mallaig via Lochaline

Sold to the man from Leicestershire really looking forward to it and many thanks for your advice, most helpful.

Ian.

Mentioned in this post
Leicestershire
Leicestershire
England, UK
Leicestershire...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mull to Mallaig via Lochaline

About 3 years experience now with our 7m motorhome managed a few mountain pass roads through Slovenia last year into Croatia so providing its not very busy in May that we would be fine.

Thanks for the advice always hepful

Ian

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mull to Mallaig via Lochaline

You will obviously be OK, Ian - sorry to suggest otherwise. I was once stuck behind a (German) campervan on the narrow winding road on the west coast of Mull, between Dervaig and Ulva Ferry. Despite having driven all the way from Germany, the driver had not yet worked out how to reverse.......... :-O

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Germany
Germany
Europe
Leicestershire...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mull to Mallaig via Lochaline

That did make me smile

Ian

9. Re: Mull to Mallaig via Lochaline

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2018, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Mull