We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip - Sat or Sun?

Hinckley, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Day trip - Sat or Sun?

Hi all,

We (2 adults & 1 infant) are looking to take a day trip to Mull (with car on Ferry) as we are based in Oban for 3 nights from Fri 31/03 - Mon 03/04. I was hoping someone could advise if better to travel on Sat 01/04 or Sun 02/04, in terms of general opening times for shops, restaurants, etc? I would prefer to travel Sunday, but I am concerned things are less likely to be open on a Sunday at this time of year? I have checked various shop/restaurant websites for opening times, but the information is very limited.

This is our first visit to Mull so any advice would be much appreciated?

Many thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Ninth Wave Restaurant
$$$$, Seafood, European, British
Hebridean Lodge
$$ - $$$, Seafood, British, Scottish
Am Birlinn
$$ - $$$, Seafood, European, British
Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
586 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip - Sat or Sun?

Probably less open on Sunday..but you can still find places to eat as hotels are open ....check bus times (I take it going as foot passengers). Not that many shops anyway...but you could have a nice day anyway.

Take sandwiches over with you ..play it by ear when you get there if weather horrendous just stay in Oban...if decent take the ferry over..they can be cancelled in high winds. No need to book ahead :)

Mentioned in this post
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
3,141 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip - Sat or Sun?

Are you taking a car or relying on public transport? Looking at the bus timetables, it looks like there aren't any buses on a Sunday so that could answer your question straight away!

westcoastmotors.co.uk/media/…495-online.pdf

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip - Sat or Sun?

The OP is travelling by car.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip - Sat or Sun?

Saturday is the best bet.

To be on the safe side, I would book in advance, even if it's only the day before. Saturdays can be busy.

Edited: 06 March 2017, 18:43
Hinckley, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip - Sat or Sun?

Thanks for the feedback.

I think Saturday would be a safer bet (weather permitting). Yes, my plan was to book in advance sat or sun as i've been told the early/late ferry's can get fully booked at the weekends, maybe best to leave it until a few days before so I can look at the forecast (for what its worth), but jump ahead of the on-the-dayer's!

6. Re: Day trip - Sat or Sun?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2018, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Mull