We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
car rental

Having trouble getting car rental info for Mull. We are ready to do it but the email doesn't seem to work for mull car hire. Site keeps sending me in a circle. I live in US and cannot call them. We want to pick up the car in Craignure when we get off the ferry from Oban. Can anyone help please.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Craignure
Craignure
Isle of Mull, UK
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental

Aren't there some car rental places in Oban you could rent from?

Mentioned in this post
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
southwales
Level Contributor
784 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental

Is it this company? http://www.mullcarhire.co.uk/Contact-Us(2057730).htm

I see they have a mobile phone number, perhaps you could get in touch by text and ask them to email you.

Edited: 26 March 2017, 01:44
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,343 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental

>>I live in US and cannot call them.<<

Why not? Last time I checked the US still had international phone connections to the outside world.

Edited: 26 March 2017, 04:51
Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental

I had the same problem when trying to plan for our trip in late May. Apparently the person who runs Mull Car Hire is named Billy, but I had a heck of a time getting in touch with him. I emailed and tried to call the phone numbers posted online, several times. I never got an answer. In the end I decided we will just take the 95/495 Tobermory Topper bus instead of renting a car (since we'll only be on Mull less than 24 hours anyway). It's not ideal, but it will have to work. Mull Self-Drive, near Salen, also (per their website) can arrange transport to Craignure. When I emailed them they were already booked for the 1 day I needed a car. You could also try MacKay's garage in Tobermory. I did get a prompt response from them when I emailed, and did get someone to answer the phone when I called. But like I said, in the end I decided we'll just take the bus to Tobermory and then hire a taxi to get around. Good luck!!

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Tobermory
Tobermory
Isle of Mull, UK
Salen
Salen
Isle of Mull, UK
Craignure
Craignure
Isle of Mull, UK
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental

Thank you. Will be staying 3 days on Mull. Car rental will be most convenient and feedback was that it is easy to drive on Mull. Can rent in Oban but didn't wanted to drive in the city since I am coming from the US. Also less expensive for the ferry. We are taking the train from Glasgow. Can anyone tell me if there is a car rental place that is close to the train station? Also I understand that the train station is not far from the ferry to Craignure. Is that correct. Thank you for any help.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Craignure
Craignure
Isle of Mull, UK
Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,939 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental

Oban is not a big place.

The station and ferries are close together.

Mentioned in this post
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,158 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental

Have you tried Mull Self-drive? 01680 300402

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental

Get onto google maps and then look for car hire in Oban. There are a number of small outfits, mostly local garages, that seem to do car hire.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,158 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental

Better to hire on Mull if you can, and avoid paying the extra £26 for taking the car on the ferry.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental

Hi, there. Even if you're nervous about driving in a city because of the other-side-of-the-road thing, or because you might be getting a stick shift and aren't used to it, you will be OK in Oban. It's pretty small, and all the places you need are near each other, so you won't be really do any real driving there anyway. (I rented a car in Oban once, years ago, and the place—Stevenson, I think it was called—was quite central. And yes, the train station in Oban is practically at the ferry pier. It's really convenient. I'm from the US and I understand your anxiety, but I assure you you won't have a problem driving in Oban.

Mentioned in this post
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Mull