We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nature and Wildlife on Mull

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Nature and Wildlife on Mull

My husband and I will be staying on Mull for 3 nights in June. I would love to get suggestions, tips, links, and similar to information about how and when to see wildlife, especially but not only birds. I hear the wildlife is great there. Trip reports about this would also be good.

We are coming with a Rabbies Tour, but I understand that (A) we will have some time to ourselves, and (B) we can give some input to the group about what we do or where we go. We are staying at Sonas House in Tobermory, which appears to be on the edge of town next to the gold course.

The tour will take us to Iona on one day.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Tobermory
Tobermory
Isle of Mull, UK
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,927 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nature and Wildlife on Mull

If you have time I can highly recommend a tour with this company

http://www.wildaboutmull.co.uk

Ok, so you can see wildlife all over the island....or not! Taking a tour with someone who knows the lie of the land saves wasting a lot of time. I know, I used to do guided wildlife walks myself, and if you don't know where to look you can miss a lot. We were very happy with our day out with these guys, thoroughly enjoyable it was!

Tobermory, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nature and Wildlife on Mull

Loch Na Keal area is good for wildlife. We've seen White Tailed Sea Eagles, Northern divers, gannets, otters and deer. If you have time would recommend Mull Charters for a White Tailed Sea Eagle boat trip, leaves from Ulva Ferry. If you're going to Iona, look out for Corncrakes, you'll probably hear them before you see them.

Sonas House is in upper Tobermory, lovely view looking down the sound of Mull. It's a bit of a walk up from the Main Street in Tobermory, but can work off the lovely food you're likely to enjoy. Would recommend Cafe Fish in Tobermory for seafood, recommend booking in advance as very popular.

Mentioned in this post
Mull Charters
Mull Charters
516 Reviews
Isle of Mull, UK
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Tobermory
Tobermory
Isle of Mull, UK
Boston...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nature and Wildlife on Mull

Fantastic info from both Woodybark and Katziger so far. I had not thought of a restaurant reservation but will do that. Thanks so much.

Dare I ask what is a corncrake?

Are the Hebrides on any kind of bird migration route, and might we see songbirds around mid June?

Biggar, United...
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
887 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nature and Wildlife on Mull

Corncrake is a bird. Here's a link to give you an idea of the birdlife which lives on, or visits, the island.

There is a great day trip out to the Isle of Staffa and the Isle of Lunga which you can make from Mull. On Lunga visitors can walk amongst puffins and there is also a huge colony of guilliemots and razorbills at Harp Rock just off the shore - requires a walk along a rough path. See TA reviews below for information.

http://www.mullbirds.com

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Rev…

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Staffa
Isle of Staffa
369 Reviews
Isle of Mull, UK
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,746 posts
489 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nature and Wildlife on Mull

Loch na Keal never disappoints us, re wildlife sightings.It's sea eagle central.Sea eagles and golden eagles nest on both sides of the loch at the Gruline end (you'll see where they are because of all the cars and people peering through scopes.) Talk to the many, many wildlife watchers you see on Mull, they are always friendly and helpful about pointing out where things are happening on a particular day etc.

The loch is also otter central, both sides.

Grasspoint is good too though really, look out for eagles and otters anywhere you go - we most recently saw a sea eagle heading our way to Tobermory, and watched it land on a fir tree just south of the town.Watched them on Iona also.

Birdsong everywhere in mid-June - skylarks singing their hearts out above you; meadow pipits; cuckoos; warblers of all types; curlews; snipe drumming; yes, corncrakes on Iona.

Other birds of prey - short eared owls; hen harriers; peregrine falcon - the list goes on.

The trip out to see the puffins, guillemots and razorbills is a cracker.Dolphin and whale watching trips are on the go too,as the waters between north Mull and Rum and Coll are considered 'cetacean central.'

My own favourite spots re Mull based on many holidays on the island

http://wp.me/p4QqFa-1IX

Edited: 20 April 2017, 16:07
Mentioned in this post
Isle of Mull
Isle of Mull
The Hebrides, UK
Tobermory
Tobermory
Isle of Mull, UK
6. Re: Nature and Wildlife on Mull

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2018, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Mull
;