We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with toddler

Horsham...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling with toddler

My husband and I are considering Ireland for a one week vacation in early July. Our daughter will be 16mo then. We’ve traveled with her since she was 3mo, and so far she’s been great, but who knows in a few months. Typically we pack our days, but I think we need to be more reasonable with what we expect from a toddler. I am very into art, my husband loves history, and we think that some outdoor spaces where our daughter can get out some energy would be good. We would prefer to rely on public transportation, but we can rent a car if that is really recommended. If we were to make Dublin our homebase, where else would you recommend we go? And would those be day trips, or should we count on an overnight? TIA!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
3 replies to this topic
dublin ireland
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with toddler

You would not need a car for any days in the city itself.There are alot of free Art galleries and Natural history museum in the Trinity College/Merrion Square/St Stephens green area,all of which are easily accessible on public transport,buses,trains,if you are not staying in the city centre itself.

Merrion square also has childrens playground across from museums

Mentioned in this post
Trinity College Dublin
Trinity College Dublin
10,567 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Merrion Square
Merrion Square
1,041 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with toddler

For history, check out Kilmainham Gaol or Glasnevin Cemetry. Not free, but give you insights into Irish history.

Second Stephen's Green for outside spaces. Right in the centre of Dublin and has duck ponds that I know I loved as a kid.

If it is good weather, Howth is easily accessible by public transport which has nice beaches and good fish and chips. Less art and history, but good for burning toddler energy.

Mentioned in this post
Kilmainham Gaol
Kilmainham Gaol
22,269 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
36,791 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with toddler

For Dublin itself you won't need a vehicle at all but Ireland a car can be useful and with a toddler it might be ideal.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Reply to: Traveling with toddler
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted