We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car in Dublin

Charlestown, Rhode...
1 post
Save Topic
Renting a car in Dublin

I am considering renting a car at Dublin airport. I have read varying experiences with rental agencies, the good, the bad and the ugly. I have done my homework on end, confirmed with my credit card company they cover "loss of use" among extras. But I fear based on the reviews of others this may not be enough? The rental price is alluring for sure, almost too good to be true, so I have to wonder, what's the catch? I've considered Conn's Ireland Car Rental - but still want to be sure I am making the best decision. Has anyone else dealt with Donnelly's, Hertz (although this is a definite NO with a $5,000 hold on my credit card), Europcar, and their wallets have lived to tell the tale?

2 replies to this topic
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
15,116 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car in Dublin

sadly any rental company you deal with will put a hold on your card if you are using an outside insurer....also, if you aren't aware, if there is an accident/incident they will take the cost from your hold and you will have to collect from your insurer when you return home.....

San Diego...
Level Contributor
621 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car in Dublin

Yes, as Oma said, all the agencies will put a hold on your credit card if you waive the CDW and use the cc coverage. Depends on the size of the car you rent as to the the amount of the hold. I usually get the smallest car and with Dooley's the hold was 3,500 E. With Conn's, I think his quotes are inclusive of CDW per some of the regular posters on here. I have never rented from him.

Just to let you know, most of the complaints come from people renting and not knowing all the details. If you use your credit card insurance, you must get a letter from the insurer that they definitely cover the Republic of Ireland. I always email the letter to the rental agency to confirm that they will accept it and then print their response and bring it with me. Also, they will charge you a 25E fee for using your own insurance. Also they will charge for a full tank of gas, but if you bring it back full they will credit it back. Dooleys (now Enterprise) has an office in New Jersey with a toll free number (800 331 9301). You can call them and they will walk you though everything.

Also, regarding the loss of use. If you do happen to have an incident and get charged for loss of use, you will have to get proof from the rental agency that they had no other cars of that type while your car was being repaired. That is very hard to do so you usually just have to assume that part of it.

Reply to: Renting a car in Dublin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor