We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway to and from Dublin

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Galway to and from Dublin

Hi-

My family (including 2 children 8 and 9) is traveling to Galway from NYC this summer. We are flying in and out of Dublin and staying in an air b&b in Galway for 7 days. We have reserved a rental car at Dublin airport. I have some reservations about driving on the opposite side of the rode. Is this a good idea? My husband will be the primary driver and is not a bit concerned. Our flight arrives in the morning and we cannot check into our home until 4pm. I wonder if we should spend the day in Dublin and take a train or bus to Galway. Would we be able to rent a car in Galway? Not sure if the best time to learn how to drive in Ireland is in Dublin on a 2 hour drive after coming off of a 6 hour overnight flight. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks so much!!

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild...
1,113 Reviews
from US$52.40*
Best Seller
Aran Islands and Cliffs of Moher Day...
356 Reviews
from US$46.60*
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Day Trip from Dublin
1,336 Reviews
from US$58.20*
4 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
20,751 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway to and from Dublin

Hi Kim,

>>Not sure if the best time to learn how to drive in Ireland is in Dublin on a 2 hour drive after coming off of a 6 hour overnight flight<<<

Excellent question. I would put the drive closer to 3+ hours. below link AA route planner most recommend adding 25% to drive / travel times.

http://www.theaa.ie/routes/#

One never knows when Jet lag / Sleep deprivation will set in. Consider staying overnight in Dublin and getting the vehicle in the Morning. Your other option is take the bus from the Airport to Galway city & there are rental agencies in Galway.

Kesh_grammy

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,289 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway to and from Dublin

I would get the coach from the airport to Galway and hire a car in Galway. Much more sensible than driving.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway to and from Dublin

Thank you so much!!

Albany, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Galway to and from Dublin

I agree with fuscia but your plan isn’t impossible. We arrived in Dublin Tuesday and drove straight to Galway. The drive actually took just over two hours but it is a major adjustment with driving on the other side.

Reply to: Galway to and from Dublin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted