We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long a visit to Kilkenney, and what other similar towns

california
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How long a visit to Kilkenney, and what other similar towns

We are visiting Ireland for 10 days and want to see small to medium size towns with old architecture, quaint atmosphere, nice for going around on foot. How many of those ten days should we spend in Kilkenny, does Kilkenny fit the above description, and what other towns do fit this description.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long a visit to Kilkenney, and what other similar towns

Kilkenny is classed as a small city. (I have an intense dislike of the word "quaint" ;) Makes me think of plastic shamrocks and lurid green leprechauns!

How long you spend anywhere depends on what you want to see. Do you plan to hire a car?What are your interests?

Edited: 10 October 2015, 06:21
Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,317 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long a visit to Kilkenney, and what other similar towns

And when are you going to be in Ireland?

I also dislike the term "quaint", Ireland is neither a museum nor stuck in times past.

However, if you're looking for towns with a historical past which still shows nowadays, Kilkenny is right for you. The surrounding area has lots to offer, e.g. Inistioge, St. Mullin;s,, Graignamanagh, Jerpoint Abbey, Mount Juliet, Thomastown and so much more.

What is your itinerary?

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Jerpoint Abbey
Jerpoint Abbey
495 Reviews
Thomastown, Ireland
Thomastown
Thomastown
Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
581 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long a visit to Kilkenney, and what other similar towns

1 day is plenty of time to see what Kilkenny has.

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long a visit to Kilkenney, and what other similar towns

I would suggest that at least one overnight in kilkenny city to have the opportunity to enjoy it all. At least two nights if you also want to visit some of the towns in the county that have already been suggested.

california
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How long a visit to Kilkenney, and what other similar towns

We will hire a car for the 10 or so days we will be in Ireland.

What I mean is that we would like to see old buildings that are from long ago, old alleys, low buildings, not tall buildings, unless they are old churches or such. We would like to mostly avoid thick traffic, and to move at a slower pace. Good homemade food is good too. We are thinking of the town of Kilkenny, maybe Clonakilty, maybe Kenmare, and Ennistymon.

Arriving Dublin and leaving Shannon. Any ideas of where to get to see old buildings and older streets and interesting little shops and good homemade food would be welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Clonakilty
Clonakilty
County Cork, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long a visit to Kilkenney, and what other similar towns

Killenny as already suggested. Also Thomastown, Inistioge, Callan and.Graiguenamanagh in the county of Kilkenny. The other towns you have mentioned would also provide examples of irish vernacular architecture.

I am not sure about 'tall' and 'low' buildings. Ireland has very few tower blocks.

Edited: 12 October 2015, 14:29
Mentioned in this post
Thomastown
Thomastown
Kilkenny, Ireland
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,848 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long a visit to Kilkenney, and what other similar towns

I have been touring Ireland by car since Oct. 14th and I am currently in Kinsale and It is by far my absolute favorite so far! I also loved Kenmare. Both are small, easy to explore on foot and picturesque. Although Kinsale may be considered too touristy, I am meeting mostly Irish people here this time of the year.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
15,573 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long a visit to Kilkenney, and what other similar towns

some smaller places are Clifden, Killaloe, Roundstone, Oughterard, Glengarriff, Quin, Dunmore East, Kinsale, (not a fan, but some enjoy it), etc....

Mentioned in this post
Clifden
Clifden
County Galway, Ireland
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
california
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How long a visit to Kilkenney, and what other similar towns

Thank you for these smaller town ideas. What is it about Kinsale? Is it the large number of tourists there or something else. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
15,573 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long a visit to Kilkenney, and what other similar towns

travelbug, for me, over the years, there are places that just grab me, then there are some that do not.....Kinsale is one that doesn't....that doesn't mean you won't love it.....

many adore Galway, I used to but now it's too complicated to navigate, crowded, parking hard to find.....while I love County Galway, the town itself just isn't my cup of tea...doesn't mean it's not for others.....

I love Killaloe, Oughterard, and Tara but others might loathe them because they are very small with little to no tourist attractions but they speak to my heart....I even like a day in Doolin, many don't.....

so it's really all a matter of what interests the visitor, doesn't make any of them bad places....

Mentioned in this post
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
County Galway
County Galway
Province of Connacht, Ireland
Doolin
Doolin