We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What route with only one day ??

Level Contributor
179 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
What route with only one day ??

The end of May we will be going from Dublin to Kilkenny for one night. Originally I had thought of going to PowersCourt Gardens and Glendalough on the way to Kilkenny . But now I am realizing that will not give me much time left for Kilkenny itself ! I definitely want to see the castle and walk around a bit ! The next day is full as well as we will be driving down through Cashel to Blarney to Cork. Do you think I have time to do the original plan and see the castle in one day or what should I cut out? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Blarney
Blarney
County Cork, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What route with only one day ??

It is a lot to do but if you are staying the night in Kilkenny you would be able to do it. There is more to Kilkenny than the castle so enjoy strolling round in the evening.

Edited: 07 February 2016, 17:49
Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What route with only one day ??

It is a lot to do but if you are staying the night in Kilkenny you would be able to do it. There is more to Kilkenny than the castle so enjoy strolling round in the evening.

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What route with only one day ??

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
4. Re: What route with only one day ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 February 2016, 18:42
Edited: 07 February 2016, 18:42
5. Re: What route with only one day ??

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

6. Re: What route with only one day ??

7. Re: What route with only one day ??

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What route with only one day ??

Hi - I have removed my last post as it did not make sense.

The drive is probably slightly too long as you have another long drive the next day and there is more to seeing Kilkenny than just the castle. Therefore, I would suggest setting off early in the morning and going direct to Glendalough without going to Powerscourt. The drive from Glendalough will be slow but beautiful until you get over the Wicklow gap.

There is a lot more to Kilkenny than just the castle and it would be a shame to miss. From the castle step across the road to the Kilkenny Design Centre and courtyard. Then stroll up High street, Parliament Stree and Irishtown (all one road) taking in all the fascinating buildings including the option to tour Rothe house. Then over to St Canices Cathdral and round tower. Make your way back by way of the Black Abbey and the Kilkenny laneway. There are many cafes to stop at for refreshment.

Make sure that you get to the Castle by 4.00 as it will close at 5.30. Alternatively, leave visiting the castle until the next morning.

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
County Wicklow
County Wicklow
Province of Leinster, Ireland
Black Abbey
Black Abbey
481 Reviews
Kilkenny, Ireland
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,038 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What route with only one day ??

Dublin ~ M7 onto M9

Dublin Airport~ M50 onto M7 onto M9.

There are other options including your first thoughts Or going down by the National Stud /Japanese Gardens and Rock of Dunamase But if you want to beat the closing times in Kilkenny you need to be there well before 4 pm

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Rock of Dunamase
Rock of Dunamase
395 Reviews
Portlaoise, Ireland
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
179 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What route with only one day ??

Thank you ! that's what I was thinking too! maybe just cut Out PowersCourt Gardens