We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from Drogheda to Newgrange

Valladolid, Spain
Level Contributor
64 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi from Drogheda to Newgrange

Hi,

I'm a Spanish boy that the next week will go to Ireland.

I would like to know how much is a route from Drogheda to Bru Na Boinne Visitor Centre by taxi. It would be on Monday in the morning.

And is there some bus from Drogheda to there?

Thanks in advance.

6 replies to this topic
Ireland
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from Drogheda to Newgrange

For the bus part of your question here is the timetable:

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1305723873-163.pdf

The bus station is located on the Donore Road just opposite McDonald's.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,987 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from Drogheda to Newgrange

I was looking at that timetable earlier. How do you get back from Bru na Boinne?

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from Drogheda to Newgrange

Dokgolf

You dont! (If you take the 14.45 bus from Drogheda to Bru Na Boinne) That is, unless you are prepared to walk, phone a taxi or hope that a local takes pity on you and offers you a lift. If you go out on the morning bus, you have to get back in on the 15.10 one. If you go on the 14.45 one - its hard luck as far as Bus Eireann is concerned. Considering that one requires a minimum of 3 hours to "experience" Newgrange and the tour it certainly is stupid. Bus Eireann pulled services a few years ago because of lack of custom, cutbacks, or whatever the buzz word was to suit them at the time.

Subdi - in relation to your query regarding the price of a taxi - it would work out at around €15 each way.

Are you staying in Drogheda? If staying in Dublin you might consider taking one of the organised trips from there. It may be more cost effective and at least you would be guaranteed entry to the tomb. You could land off the morning bus, and dependant on the day may not get a tour, or indeed the bus back to Drogheda in the afternoon should you be lucky enough to get a later tour. Mary Gibbons Tours organise trips from the city which always seem to get good reviews http://newgrangetours.com/

If you do consider taking a taxi from Drogheda, I am happy to give you telephone numbers of local reputable taxi companies if you wish. :-)

Valladolid, Spain
Level Contributor
64 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from Drogheda to Newgrange

Thank you everybody.

I'll stay in Drogheda and early in the morning (8:30 am) go to Newgrange, so I'll be there in the moment of opening.

My intention is to take a taxi and return by bus 11.40 am).

Then I want to take a bus to the airport to come back to Spain.

Little Pumpkin, I hope, if it's posible, phone numbers of local reputable taxi companies, please.

Kind Regards,

Jose.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from Drogheda to Newgrange

Hi Jose

I've sent you a message with some taxi numbers and additional information. Just thought I'd highlight it to you here as it's almost impossible to see with the new format on this site that one has a new message!

Have fun.

Bo'ness, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi from Drogheda to Newgrange

Sorry for dragging up an old thread. I've three nights in Belfast and was hoping to day a day trip to Drogheda to visit both the Battle of the Boyne centre and Newgrange if possible. I will travel by train to & from Drogheda (I'm lucky to get a free pass so might as well use it) but public transport from there looks paltry to say the least.

Are there any tours that operate from Drogheda? I am taxiphobic but could hire a bycycle if needs must.

Reply to: Taxi from Drogheda to Newgrange
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Drogheda
Recent Conversations