We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Paris/Normandy/Luxembourg/Munich

Denver, Colorado
14 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to Paris/Normandy/Luxembourg/Munich

Hello,

i am looking to head to Europe in Sept for my first time. I want to check out WW2 sites. My biggest concern is traveling around and in between the countries. I am looking at something like this

Fly into paris stay a night, get to Normandy for a couple of nights, get to Lux for a couple of nights and than Munich...flying out of Paris to get back. I was going to try and just do public transportation and trains/planes between countries but than seen I can rent a car for the entire trip for less. I am also concerned about venturing out to the WW2 sites since they are outside of the cities it seems, I think Ubers and such might get pricey. Would it be a bad idea to just rent a car?

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Sept
Sept
314 Reviews
Toulouse, France
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
582 Reviews
from US$74.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,240 Reviews
from US$103.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
646 Reviews
from US$48.60*
9 replies to this topic
Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
8,539 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Paris/Normandy/Luxembourg/Munich

If you rent a car in France & drop it in Munich you will pay several hundred € in drop fees. In the cost of your rental car have you included fuel & tolls? Often just the tolls are more than the price of a train ticket and the train is usually much faster than driving. Is there any particular reason you want to go to Luxembourg? - there isn't much of interest there. See www.viamichelin.com for itineraries, including times with no problems and costs.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Denver, Colorado
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Paris/Normandy/Luxembourg/Munich

Thanks for the reply.

If I rented a car I was going to drive back to Paris to fly out so the car would be returned to the same airport. My biggest reason for looking at the car was getting to the sites I want to see. I wasnt sure if it would be difficult or expensive to taxi or whatever.

As for Luxenbourg, I am more wanting to see the WW2 sites outside the city. Like Bastogne. Luxembourg is just the bigger city I seen.

Do you have recommendations?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Missouri USA
Level Contributor
482 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Paris/Normandy/Luxembourg/Munich

Using the Michelin app or website you can map out routes that avoid tolls. We rented a car to see the Normandy sites, it made things so easy to see.

In Germany, many cities require a special emissions sticker to drive into the city which you won't have, so you will have to park on the perimeter and take public transportation.

But renting and driving is the best solution.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Denver, Colorado
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Paris/Normandy/Luxembourg/Munich

Thank you...The rental cars wouldnt have those stickers on them?

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Paris/Normandy/Luxembourg/Munich

Each country has it's own laws and stickers / vignette or what ever constraint. So if you rent in France you won't have any requirement for the other countries. So you would need to enquire and how and where to get them

As for a car or no car... for long distance and between cities I find that taking the train is much faster and cheaper if you buy your train tickets 3 months in advance for best prices. Tolls and gas quickly add up.

I don't know where you are going in Germany and Luxembourg so I can't tell. But I know that for the Normandy D-Day beaches,unless you do a lot or research or know a lot about the subject... You will get a lot more out of your visit taking a guided tour. At least for the basics and then you could complete your visits with other sights around. If you want to have a complete visit of all the related WWII sights and museaums around you have for a few days.

If you would decide to visit strickly WW sights around Northern France (as there are so many of them) a car then would definitely be a bonus and would indeed give you flexibility between your different destinations.

You really need to do the math. Cross check prices and traveling times for Sept on www.trainline.eu with www.viamichelin.com for the driving part. You'll then be able to see and compare and make a better decision.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 01:32
Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
Sept
Sept
314 Reviews
Toulouse, France
Denver, Colorado
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Paris/Normandy/Luxembourg/Munich

Thank you for the links

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
8,075 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Paris/Normandy/Luxembourg/Munich

welcome,

with a trip like this you really want to sit down and look at a map and how to get from A to B to C...ect.

look at some path to take and if you are lucky you wont need to do alto of back tracking.

In general if you are going to cross alot of boarders, then you should look at buying open jaw tickets. That is to fly into one city and out of another. You may get a better deal on a round trip, but consider what you will need to do to BACKTRACK to where you start. It wont be free and you will spend TIME & MONEY doing so.

Something to consider is to maybe look at breaking up your TRIPS into regions or areas. You say this is your "first" trip, so its this 1 of many? IF so, again, look at breaking up into areas so that you dont bop around Europe for everything.

Do more reproach up front at home where it will only cost you time. Then plan your trips. You can buy or print a map or create your own google maps. There is so much to see there and if you are a WWII buff, you will be surprised. You dont say how much time you have either and that will make a BIG difference.

heres a website for you....

www.seat61.com

alot of great train info. There are buses too, but i love using the trains. If you get to the planning stage, look at the logistics of getting from A to B to C. You dont have to be extremely detailed but get an idea if its possible to get from A to B first, then look at cost and times and WHEN. Sometimes you may find that a train/plane maybe seasonal or only operate certain days.

something thing to consider. when you get to areas such as NORMANDY and BASTOGNE, you need to realize that the battlefields were not in a few acres of land. It was spreadout. So, you can drive if you want, but if you do a tour (group or private) they maybe able to cram more into it than you could on your own. The car brings you freedom to spend as much time as you want someplace. But i have used private tours in both and i liked it. I call the shots so its like have my tour and eat it too. we move when im ready and we stay as long as i want. I listen to the guide too since they know how long it takes to get from A to B to C and how long things are open or not. Sometimes they may have specials access to things too where as if you are by yourself or on a group tour, you may not.

look at travel books. You dont have to buy them, but go over the table of contents and see what it covers. If it has something for you it maybe worth it to get it. Many times those travel books have alot of info in them since its the reason they were writing. Like how to get there, whats there to do and see, what time they are open or closed, how much it cost to enter, when is the best time to see it. When and if any festivals or special events take place...ect

one last hint. When you move your base, you will loose at the MINIMUM 1/2 day moving your base. just something to consider while you are dreaming of bopping all over Europe.

good luck.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 05:24
Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Denver, Colorado
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Paris/Normandy/Luxembourg/Munich

Thank you for all of that. Alot of good pointers to consider. I definitely appreciate your time

I will sit and figure this out. I was able to find a great deal on a round trip flight from Denver to paris. Now it is just getting the innerworkings together. I like the train options and would like that to be my plan. I just started getting worried I would be "stuck" in the big cities and not easily taken out to the stuff I want to see.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
8,075 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Paris/Normandy/Luxembourg/Munich

welcome, back,

If you have all the time and money to screw around and figure things out on the fly, then you can do alot. But im sure your time & money and vacation time is limited like most.

i do alot of planing up front at home since its free. My time is my time and i choose to do the planning to maximize my time there.

Also, its not like my itinerary is set in stone. ITs my trip, my money, my time, so if i want to go off script, i can.

If you choose to do more travel in the future, doing ii yourself (DIY) you will find that it allows you to do it your way. Also, once you do a trip you may find you like it and then you can do what you want, when you want, for as along as you and your money and time hold out.

you will find that the train system is really nice and convenient. It may not go everywhere but you maybe able to get close and figure things out from there. As i mentioned, i used a private guide in Normandy. Same for Bastogne. If you do make it to both, a car would be a good bet. I HATE driving even at home so i like having someone do it for me. I can then be a Tourist in the car and rubber neck all i want seeing whats there and not worry about driving. When i make it back to Normandy i will probably do both, a car and a tour.

with regards to Luxembourg, if you make it that far, you need to head up to Diekirch. Is about a 1? hr ride from Luxembourg. There is a really impressive museum there and from a fellow travelers i met at the American Cemetery in Luxembourg where Patton is buried, there is another one at Ettelbruck just south of Diekirch. Also, something really cool about Luxembourg, for about 5 USD you can buy an all day ticket and go ANYWHERE in Luxembourg. To me a really cool feature and deal.

this past March i did a short trip.....AMS > Brussels > Bastogne > Luxembourg > Paris > London > Paris > Amsterdam. most of the trains were about ~2 hr . Paris > AMS was about 3 hr. Getting around by train is sweet in my opinion. I love using them.

good luck

Mentioned in this post
American Cemetery
American Cemetery
306 Reviews
Verdun, France
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Le Paris London
Le Paris London
534 Reviews