We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alps base for walking with 4mo & road cycling

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Alps base for walking with 4mo & road cycling

Hi.

I will be visiting my brother inVerbier in September then plan to have 2-3 weeks in the alps. I wish to be walking (quite easy 2-3hr loops with good views) with my 4 month old babe and my partner hopes to cycle every day and work - internet based- too.

Can anyone recommend a base for us? Thinking more Switzerland-France at this time but open to ideas.

Good lakes for swimming? Simple access to good walks and great rides? Baby friendly towns? Where to avoid? Tips on walking with a babe?

Many thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
645 Reviews
from US$72.90*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
702 Reviews
from US$47.50*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,267 Reviews
from US$100.70*
3 replies to this topic
Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alps base for walking with 4mo & road cycling

In September you want a larger town/area as most of the usual mountain resorts will be shut by mid-September - Annecy, or the villages on the eastern shore of that lake, or Aix-les-Bains, or head to Lac Leman - Evian or Montreux etc.

Tips on walking with a babe - sun protection. If the babe is 4 months old now, so will be 7-8 months in September, look at getting a babycarrier that goes on your back (like a backpack) - much kinder on your spine and babe will not get so hot. They usually come with a sunshade (at extra cost).

Mentioned in this post
Annecy
Annecy
Haute-Savoie, France
Ile d'Aix
Ile d'Aix
Charente-Maritime, France
Lac Leman
Lac Leman
778 Reviews
Evian-les-Bains, France
Montreux
Montreux
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alps base for walking with 4mo & road cycling

Many thanks Poollounger!

I’ll take a more detailed look at a map soon. Babe will be 4 months in Sept do still pretty little - really hoping we can make the trip work with some fab cycling for my partner too.

BW

e

Mentioned in this post
Sept
Sept
321 Reviews
Toulouse, France
Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alps base for walking with 4mo & road cycling

Will you have a car ? There are no mid sized towns from which you can just walk in the Alps, you'd have to drive to the start of hikes. Walking from your doorstep is only possible from villages or hamlets.

The first advice is to avoid ski resorts. They're ugly in summer (all year long IMO) and dead. Nice mid sized town are rare. I don't like Chamonix, Albertville, or Modane. Briançon is a great choice because it has a historical center, and a larger town outside. It's also bang in the middle of the mountains, you can cycle a lot around here. Hikes from the town would get your to the forts (there are many), and if you drive you can access superb areas like Vallée de La Clarée, with the mélèzes in their fiery foliage in autumn, or the Ecrins with the hike to Glacier BLanc, or the Queyras mountains further South. Or you can just hike the mountains right next to Briançon. Bourg Saint Maurice would be my second choice. It's right next to Vanoise, you can cycle up to Col du Petit Saint Bernard into Italy and for hikes you can drive to Beaufort or Vanoise, both offer great hiking. Guillestre, in Queyras, is also a great small town, I stay there when I hike in Queyras.

If you don't mind a village, with fewer shops and restaurants, there are options as well. Saint Véran in Queyras, La Grave in Ecrins, Beaufort, that kind of thing.

Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
Albertville
Albertville
Savoie, France
Modane
Modane
Savoie, France
Bourg Saint Maurice
Bourg Saint Maurice