We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to backpack in Europe

Florida Keys...
7 posts
Save Topic
Where to backpack in Europe

I am a college student spending May in Verona Italy and July in Marseilles, France. I have all of June to explore the area, what is the best route? I am thinking of going to Venice during the study abroad, and then traveling down to Rome, flying from Rome to Athens then going from there someplace else until the Marseilles trip where I would like to go to Paris. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fill the 3 week gap?

Mentioned in this post
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
France
France
Europe
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
584 Reviews
from US$74.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,240 Reviews
from US$103.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
646 Reviews
from US$48.60*
2 replies to this topic
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
8,125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to backpack in Europe

welcome,

you have all of Europe in your back yard.

Have you looked at any travel books? have you tried to google for anything? There are travel shows too. You can look at the top of each destination for "things to do and see" but you need a desktop to view. You can go to your local library to find travel books. Or you can head to a book store too. So much info out there.

you dont say what interests you have either..

also, "backpack" will mean different things to different people.

- do you mean you will be carrying your stuff in a pack/bag/duffle? and using trains, buses, and planes to get around?

- or do you mean walking/hiking and camping with a tent and sleeping bag your way across Europe?

there is so much to do and see where you will be going I think you need to put a small effort into some research.

You may want to look at a map of Europe and see where you want to go and maybe whats in between. It may make the logistics of getting between points easier. You can buy, print maps or even create your own google maps.

if all you want is to someone to tell you what was their favorite place, you will get that, but im thinking you want something a bit more?

heres a web stie for you...

www.seat61.com

note this is a train website but it has alot of into. IN general when crossing boarders its best to buy your tickets sooner than later due to prices. But if you have $$ to burn, dont worry. There are buses too, but consider the TIME it may take (longer) to get to where you want to be. 3 weeks is a nice start and a nice vacation for many, but it wont get longer the longer you take to get there. So how you move about is important.

good luck

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Florida Keys...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to backpack in Europe

Thank you for the response, it will be my first time in Europe alone, so I am unsure of what to do, I am thinking of staying in the south, referring to greece, Italy, Spain, Spain the area/countries around Crotatia, and France.

When referring to backpacking, I meant taking only a carry-on backpack and staying in Hostels/airbnb in the area I choose. I will not be fully camping, but I will have only one backpack with all of my belongings.

I definitely need to keep researching, but I have 11 months until the trip to work out the fine print.

I appreciate the website, I am sure that will be useful!

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Greece
Greece
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Spain
Spain