We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day holiday 2 hours from Paris

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
7 day holiday 2 hours from Paris

Hi. I am travelling to Paris from london via Eurostar with my family, 3 kids aged 17,9 and 5. I am looking to spend 7 days somewhere 2-4 hours on the train from Paris. Originally was looking at Aquitaine and Beziers areas but the rail fares from Paris are so expensive, more than I paid for eurostar!!. I am now looking for lovely towns where the rail fares are going to be reasonablessed eg under €200 for 5 people.

Also need to be somewhere where there is stuff to see and do to keep the kids entertained.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Aquitaine
Aquitaine
Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Beziers
Beziers
Herault, France
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
581 Reviews
from US$74.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,240 Reviews
from US$102.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
645 Reviews
from US$48.30*
5 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day holiday 2 hours from Paris

You don't mention your dates but rail fares are cheapest when purchased 3 months in advance (sometimes more) when they usually go on sale. Check trainline.eu for schedules and prices and to buy tickets. Have you thought about car rental? This may be cheaper than rail fares round trip for your whole family, not to mention whatever you'd spend on local transport to do day trips wherever you base. It also allows much more freedom of movement and ease of planning and you can go places that would be difficult, if not impossible, to access via public transport. Check autoeurope.com for car rental info.

Rambouillet, France
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day holiday 2 hours from Paris

How much is the train to La Rochelle, then island shuttle bus? Saturday to Saturday will be upwards from 100 per night in a mobile home: https://www.holidays-iledere.co.uk/

To give you an idea of someplace more local from Paris at 8 euros per person by train: https:/…

Mentioned in this post
La Rochelle
La Rochelle
Charente-Maritime, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Montreal
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day holiday 2 hours from Paris

If you buy your train tickets 3 months in advance. It will ba the same price wether you decide to go to Lyon, Avignon or Montpellier. Usually around 25 euros per ticket. So the destination may not make a difference for you.

I would agree with French_Mystique that a car might be a good solution for you not knowing when you are coming in France.

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Montpellier
Montpellier
Herault, France
France
France
Europe
London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 day holiday 2 hours from Paris

I will arrive in Paris on August 16. I am a bit nervous driving 1st time in France with the kids. I want to settle first before getting a car as I realise this will be needed.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France
France
Europe
London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 day holiday 2 hours from Paris

Thank you for your quick response. I am looking to hire a car at some point once I get my bearings as I have only driven in England.

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Reply to: 7 day holiday 2 hours from Paris
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted