We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Recommendation

Noida, India
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary Recommendation

Hi.

I am planning 10days trip to France in late September. I am planning to cover Paris, French Riviera and French Alps.

Please suggest me a good itinerary.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
5 replies to this topic
Noida, India
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Recommendation

Itinerary:

Fly in and out of Paris.

Paris 4 nights.

Train to Nice. Stay for 3 nights.

Train to Chamonix. Stay for 3 nights.

Is this doable? Suggestions?

Please comment.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Recommendation

You said 10 days but you’ve done ten nights which is eleven days. When and how are you getting back to Paris? What time is your flight from Paris.

In my view you are trying to do tooooo much.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Recommendation

Doable yes but what do you do in Nice or Chamonix for 3 days ? To truely appreciate the Alps you need to drive. If you just go to Chamonix, it's like a single tourist attraction. Do the train, do the cable car, that's it your day is gone. You go to the Alps either to hike or to go on a road trip. Your itinerary just feels like ticking boxes for a first time French trip.

You go to Nice for the villages, the mountains, the coast, it all takes time. And Chamonix alone is certainly not worth the trip from India. For example if you want to see a glacier, the Glacier de l'Argentière is better than Mer de Glace, which is retreating too fast, it's just an S of gravel right now with some white appeaing here and there. Other parts of the Alps offer better glacier viewing opportunities : the hike to Glacier Blanc near Briançon, the cable car to the Meije glaciers from La Grave etc... All of this to say that with only 10 days, I would choose one or the other. It's a long trip to either Nice or Chamonix from Paris... There is no direct fast train, Nice is 6h from Paris, and Chamonix, I guess you have to go to Geneva and take a bus, so it's even longer. That's 2 days gone out of your 10 day itinerary.

For Paris + the French Alps, the best way is the TGV to Grenoble (3h from Paris). In the 5-6 days you'd have, I'd rent a car, check out La Grave and the cable car to the glaciers, then drive to Briançon, visit the city, check out the wild Vallée de la Clarée, with the mélèzes starting to get orange in autumn, if you're hikers, do the hike to Glacier Blanc from Pré de Madame Carle (go to the refuge du glacier blanc, and climb a bit higher to get a better view, but don't get on the glacier), then if you have time visit a bit of Queyras, like Château Queyras, Fort Dauphin, the historic village of Saint Véran, maybe a nice easy hike to Lac de Sainte Anne. Go back to La Grave, hike the Lac Noir and Lac Lérié, which are gorgeous, and go back to Grenoble and Paris.

Mentioned in this post
Chamonix
Chamonix
Haute-Savoie, France
INDIA
INDIA
151 Reviews
Rennes, France
La Grave
La Grave
Hautes-Alpes, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
TGV
TGV
1,389 Reviews
Paris, France
Grenoble
Grenoble
Isere, France
Madame
Madame
159 Reviews
Nancy, France
Lac d'Annecy
Lac d'Annecy
5,817 Reviews
Annecy, France
Hotel Noir
Hotel Noir
122 Reviews
Paris, France
Noida, India
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Recommendation

O yes. 11 days it is.

I haven't booked my flights yet. I wanted to finalize itinerary a bit. The reason I've mentioned Paris is due to cheaper return tickets.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Recommendation

Well like I said my answer is that to truly experience France, you should do Paris and then a small road trip on the side. With so little time there is certainly no time for 2 destinations besides Paris. The TGV lets you reach a few destinations from where you can do a 5-6 day road trip : Avignon, Grenoble, Strasbourg, Lyon, Rennes, Bordeaux. Respectively they let you explore regions like Provence, the Alps, Alsace, Beaujolais, Brittany/Normandy or Dordogne. Maybe you're scared driving in France if you only know about driving in India, but my guess is if you can drive in India and stay alive, you can drive anywhere. Switching driving side on the road is just a small adjustment, you just follow other people and the signs and you'll be fine.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
TGV
TGV
1,389 Reviews
Paris, France
Avignon