We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best wine regions

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best wine regions

Hi,

While visiting France in September, i am considering visiting wine regions, i prefer red wine to white wine and sparkling. Can anyone suggest any regions to visit, i will be in montreux, Switzerland and looking to end my holidays in Paris but in between i was thinking of visiting 1-2 red wine regions for some good wine tasting and french cuisine. I dont mind flying to get to these regions quicker as i understand some can be far away

Thanks,

Wendel

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Montreux
Montreux
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
2 replies to this topic
Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best wine regions

You do not say how long you will have to do this . Will you have a car ? Coming from that side I would suggest Burgundy which has several different regions. We like the Maconnais region ( although it has a lot of white ), and then you have the area around Givry and the Cote d'Or around Beaune. . You could also go to Chablis . We bought a couple of interesting reds from the village of Irancy which is not far from Chablis. Of course you also have the Beaujolais region to the south but they may not be your style of red. You could also consider the Cotes de Rhone to the south where there are excellent reds from some lovely villages .

Bordeaux is an obvious one but it would entail more travelling to get there . Saint Emilion is a popular village to visit and the Medoc area as well. We stayed in the Lot et Garonne last trip and enjoyed the wines from there and you also have Bergerac with good wines and an interesting red called Pecharmant which is only produced here. Nearby Cahors has very dark red ( Malbec grape ) as well. Other wines we like come from the Corbieres and the Languedoc- Rouissilon , and also the Gaillac.

Really , there are any number of places you could visit. When we first started travelling to France we were surprised to find so many wine regions other than just Burgundy, Bordeaux and Cotes de Rhone. We actually really enjoy the wines from some of the regions that are less well known. We will be visiting the Minervois region for the first time this year. We are not wine experts and do not spend a lot of money to get very good wine. And of course, wine is not the focus of our trips.

Bon voyage.

Mentioned in this post
Burgundy
Burgundy
Bourgogne-Franche-Comte, France
Cote d'Or
Cote d'Or
Beaune
Beaune
Cote d'Or, France
Chablis
Chablis
Yonne, France
Le Beaujolais
Le Beaujolais
480 Reviews
Paris, France
Rhone
Rhone
Auvergne-Rhone-Alpes, France
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Saint-Emilion
Saint-Emilion
Gironde, France
Lot-et-Garonne
Lot-et-Garonne
Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Bergerac
Bergerac
Dordogne, France
Cahors
Cahors
Lot, France
France
France
Europe
Essex
Level Contributor
30,723 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best wine regions

Burgundy

But

For something different, visit the Champagne region and seek out some Bouzy rouge....

Mentioned in this post
Burgundy
Burgundy
Reply to: Best wine regions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;