We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preferred method to pay tolls when driving.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Preferred method to pay tolls when driving.

What is best for toll roads? Cash, Debit Card, Credit Card. We will have all three but prefer to use credit card as a last resort as our bank will add on 3% for each purchase.

I do realise you need a chipped credit card for unmanned petrol pumps.

4 replies to this topic
California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Preferred method to pay tolls when driving.

Cash works for us. We kept a small container with coins ready to go at the toll booths.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Preferred method to pay tolls when driving.

We always use cash. There is no guarantee your Australian credit card will work where there is no facility to sign. We have a chip and pin mastercard and it does not work at unmanned service stations. We usually have to sign. Therefore it does not work anywhere there is not an attendant. This is our experience but have read some people have success. It is not a big issue for us.

Pontorson, France
Level Contributor
247 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Preferred method to pay tolls when driving.

My last road trip to the south of France, I decided not to use cards, and just kept a stash of euro coins in the door pockets! Worked a charm.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 07:14
Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,456 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Preferred method to pay tolls when driving.

>>as our bank will add on 3% for each purchase<<

Then it is time to change your bank! To get cash overseas, open a Citibank Plus bank account, which comes with a Mastercard debit card that has no overseas ATM withdrawal fees and an excellent exchange rate. For larger purchases, get a 28 Degrees Mastercard which has no fees for overseas purchases (in person or over the Internet) and again an excellent exchange rate. ING now offers debit and credit cards that can be used with no foreign transaction fees, but with monthly minimum transaction requirements. All these cards have no account fees.

But to answer your question, I have always paid road tolls in cash, mainly because I cannot be sure that an Australian card will be accepted. It is easy to pay in coins or notes, and the toll machines will give change if necessary.

Reply to: Preferred method to pay tolls when driving.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted